bootrec /scanos finds no OS

MobileTechie

Reaction score
I get this reasonably often - 7 or Vista machine won't boot, maybe has a 7b stop error or similar and as part of the process you run through some of the bootrec options and find that /scanos and /rebuildbcd find 0 operating systems.

Sometimes it can be as simple as the system volume not being market as active but other times it's something else and I'd be interested to know if people have a systematic troubleshooting answer to this since I do get non-booting 7/vista systems that end up needing a reinstall which I'm convinced could be avoided if this problem could be solved.

Check out Microsoft KB 927392

Specifically:

Type the following commands at the Windows RE command prompt:

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
c:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /RebuildBcd

Yes I find renaming the bcd file often helps with the rebuild finding the OS but more often than not it still doesn't boot and then when you try again scanos or rebuildbcd find nothing again until you rename or delete the BCD.

Assuming the hard drive is good, I start with chkdsk and move on from there.

I'm dealing with this problem right now. It's a Windows 7 Dell laptop that BSOD's with an 0x7b on startup. I've already tried rebuilding the BCD, /fixboot, /fixmbr, and even a restore to the factory image. I just cloned to a brand new HDD but it doesn't look like it's working either. I don't know what to try next, maybe a BIOS update?

Back