Bios says HDD password is frozen

ell

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Dell Studio 1440 here that the customer wants me to re-install windows. It had win 7 installed but just hangs after user log in. All my boot cd's don't recognize the drive so I went into the bios and found Hdd password is frozen is this my problem?

Yes, it is your problem. Probably going to have to get that password from the customer.

Other than that probably only the drive manufacturer can over-ride it...

You can look for some software on the Internet, but often times the only solution is to remove the hard drive then check that the BIOS is totally free of any passwords and install a new drive. It sucks; I know.

That said, it provides reasonable security where BIOS passwords don't.

Yes, it is your problem. Probably going to have to get that password from the customer.

Other than that probably only the drive manufacturer can over-ride it...

You can look for some software on the Internet, but often times the only solution is to remove the hard drive then check that the BIOS is totally free of any passwords and install a new drive. It sucks; I know.

That said, it provides reasonable security where BIOS passwords don't.

I ran a couple more tests and determined the drive is shot, so he wants me to replace it, so I should be ok then? or will something in the bios mess me up installing a new drive? There does not seem to be any way for me to select any option to change the password from the bios menus.

If you swap out the drive you shouldn't encounter any problems. If you know the password and want to disable the lock you can use a tool called MHDD or Atapwd. I also have a supposed list of manufacturer master passwords if you want to give those a try.

If you swap out the drive you shouldn't encounter any problems. If you know the password and want to disable the lock you can use a tool called MHDD or Atapwd. I also have a supposed list of manufacturer master passwords if you want to give those a try.

thanks for your help, appreciate it!:D

Back