Sir_Manbeard

Reaction score
I apologize if this is the incorrect place for this post, I am new so my selection is rather limited I believe.
Short and Sweet.
Brand/Model: Dell Optiplex 3080 Micro
Motherboard P/N: 0HGFJM

Administrator Password is set and i'd like it to be removed
-MB as no jumper (literally says they got rid of it starting with this model, next option is the next thing I performed below).
-I performed a CMOS reset (as per manual - Turn PC off, then hold Power button for 20 seconds. ---It didn't work. no change.
-As per Dell's manual, I attempted a BIOS rewrite via USB using a particular method involving "/writehdrfile". ---It didn't work. Got error stating it didn't recognize the /writehdrfile command

Next thought is reprogramming the BIOS using my little BIOS chip reprograming kit. but i can't find a program that recognizes that chip.

At a loss here. The PC is still usable. I can reinstall the OS. But who wants to be locked out of most of the BIOS settings on their PC... especially their server lol.

Any help would be appreciated my doods.

Be sure if you contact Dell you know the previous owner name, address, etc. else you are out of luck. Dell is not very willing to change BIOS admin passwords. I've had a few computers come through where people had died and since I didn't have all the details from their kin there was nothing Dell would do.

Be sure if you contact Dell you know the previous owner name, address, etc. else you are out of luck. Dell is not very willing to change BIOS admin passwords. I've had a few computers come through where people had died and since I didn't have all the details from their kin there was nothing Dell would do.
Yea I found that out yesterday when I called. Pretty lame but I get it I guess. Just wish I could find a program that supports this BIOS (XMC QH256BK1Q). CH341A doesn't have it listed and I can't find other ones.

There's a reason why it can't be done outside of official support. Just like so many other security related enhancements that have been added over the years. The OEM's are proactively trying to keep from being a feed bag for lawyers. That model apparently came with TMP as well.

There's a reason why it can't be done outside of official support. Just like so many other security related enhancements that have been added over the years. The OEM's are proactively trying to keep from being a feed bag for lawyers. That model apparently came with TMP as well.
But that's the thing. It can be done outside of support, I'm just trying to find the knowledge.

I don't know if this will work for a desktop but the last BIOS password I had to clear was a pretty new Dell laptop and this worked for me:

Guy bought it at a pawn shop and didn't know the password.
I appreciate your response. I did end up having to do that, which worked miraculously. I just want to know how they do it. I know that guy isn't from Dell Support. The knowledge has to be out there somewhere.

I've had a situation like that, but my way to solve it was something you probably couldn't do. I paid $80 for 4 Dell 5050 MFF from a company that went out of business and they were bios locked. So, on a visit to Austin to see my daughter, I popped them by the Dell plant there and they had them unlocked in about 20 seconds, OFC I did have to show the receipt which has the service tags listed.

I've had a situation like that, but my way to solve it was something you probably couldn't do. I paid $80 for 4 Dell 5050 MFF from a company that went out of business and they were bios locked. So, on a visit to Austin to see my daughter, I popped them by the Dell plant there and they had them unlocked in about 20 seconds, OFC I did have to show the receipt which has the service tags listed.
Nice! I ended up paying some guy for some master keys that unlocked them both. My next step was gonna be to just order new BIOS chips and replace them. But it was gonna take a month to get them lol

Back