Best way to setup scan to email for printer?

Velvis

Reaction score
A client of mine just got a giant Kyocera printer/copier/scanner. He is very interested in sending scans via email directly from the scanner.

I have been looking through the settings and if I understand it correctly I need to provide the printer with an email account to send from, or is there a way to send it not from an actual address? (ie I am not positive it needs a specific users account info, as the manual is not clear to me.) It is asking for SMTP server name and authentication can be set from three POP3 accounts.

I ask because the printer is in a common area and not exclusive to one user, so I dont want email scans going out from User A, when User B sent it.

Anyone have any experience with this type of thing?

Thanks!

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I understand the first part of you suggestion, but can you clarify the following:
"then they tell it to send to their specific email address and foward it from there"

Thanks.

I can't comment on the specific printer, however:

It should have an address book, wherein staff emails are added.

It should have its OWN email address, as mentioned, printer@domain.com (you can use gmail if you have to, anything POP works fine.)

Depending on the interface, they should be able to walk up and press "scan" (as opposed to "copy") and click their name, and it'll scan and send. You can probably also enter network SMB shares and have it drop the scanned files in there.

You'll probably need to set scan defaults, like what format (pdf/tif/whatever), DPI, etc.

I can't comment on the specific printer, however:

It should have an address book, wherein staff emails are added.

It should have its OWN email address, as mentioned, printer@domain.com (you can use gmail if you have to, anything POP works fine.)

Depending on the interface, they should be able to walk up and press "scan" (as opposed to "copy") and click their name, and it'll scan and send. You can probably also enter network SMB shares and have it drop the scanned files in there.

You'll probably need to set scan defaults, like what format (pdf/tif/whatever), DPI, etc.

Sorry I didnt clarify but yes, this is what I meant.

Machines like this require a SMTP server account. Never have worked with a Kyocera but have with HP and Konica Minolta. They are not always reliable as the manufacturer says. It depends on the SMTP sever.

My experience is as follows.

1. Each scan to email user account is setup with a destination email address.
2. A SMTP account needs to be setup for sending. The machine will use the same account for sending all emails. Obviously the preferred method is to have account just for the machine but that is not required. HP's seem to be OK but KM seems to have some issues with certain SMTP servers.

Back