Bad driver(s) - BSODs

Diggs

Reaction score
I have a customer's Asus laptop that has random BSODs. Event viewer is little help as the exceptions are all over the place and show no pattern. Customer even gave me a folder of BSOD screenies but again little help as they are random. I ran Win10 "verifier" to check drivers and sure enough, on reboot it finds something and errors out with a BSOD and reboots. After three reboots it goes into repairs and I can reboot finally into safe mode command line and turn off verfier. Problem is I can't ever see what driver errors it found. When in safe mode command line I ask verifier (verifier /query) and it shows nothing. I'm at a loss to identify what is causing the BSODs. Verifier says it found driver errors but I can't see what they are. Suggestions?

BlueScreenView run from Gandalf PE?

Edit: ... or offline SFC?

I've installed Bluescreenview and have it up now. Not telling me anything. Just a list of what's running in the last minidump. The computer boots and runs but BSODs a couple times a day for the client. Hmmm......

@add - I've memtested and ran Prime95 for hours. I've used Micron's SSD tester repeatedly (it has a Micron SSD). Nothing.

Has it been BSOD'ing for you? If so I'd start by imaging the drive to another known good drive. I'd also do a clean install on another known drive.

Has it been BSOD'ing for you? If so I'd start by imaging the drive to another known good drive. I'd also do a clean install on another known drive.

Nope - I can't get it to BSOD unless I run verifier and I've had it running for hours and hours. I was going to image and offer the customer a N&P as I've already spent way too much time on it.

Nope - I can't get it to BSOD unless I run verifier and I've had it running for hours and hours. I was going to image and offer the customer a N&P as I've already spent way too much time on it.
Sometimes understanding the problem is a luxury that the client doesn't want to pay for - this sounds like one of those. If you're certain that the hardware is OK then a clean reinstallation is best for your sanity and the client's pocket.

Back