Averatec & CPU Fan

forge

Reaction score
Recently had a DC Jack replacement on an Averatec 3260 and upgraded the ram to 1gig for a client.
No it seems the CPU fan will stop spinning as soon as windows attempts to load. Of course it will overheat and shut off or it gets to hot for the client and he shuts it off.
I have checked the Bios and it has very little options and no options for the fan other than calibration which I have done to no avail. I know the client very well and know that he is honest when he says there was no issue before.
The cpu fan is firmly plugged in and not dirty or dusty.
It will run all during the calibration and if i leave it on in the bios.
I have ran Mini Windows of a boot disk and again it shuts off. Same thing with linux.
However if I run Mem Test on it it stays on. Which leads me to believe it is some kind of driver issues specific to this model.
I have changed the ram and does not work.
it did however give they annoying system beep after the DC jack repair but it does not any longer.
Any clues or resolutions about this issue.
Searching online has yet to resolve the problem.
Thanks for the input guys.

Yes

The vent is on the back panel. The whole panel comes off to replace the ram and covers the ram, cpu and fan. It is clean and will not run even with the cover off.
Really quite confusing.
It is kinda similar to the one you linked but as I said it is clean and it runs fine in bios and Mem Test. I have yet to try other Non system boot options such as some type of disk explorer or even just leaving ghost on to see if it runs.
I think I will check that now.
I did take a look at doing a Windows Repair and just as soon as all the drivers were loaded up, before you get to the first option, the fan shuts off and will not come back on.
I know it is not just shutting off til needed because it over heats.
I'm gonna try another boot utility and then disassemble to see if anything else may be loose.
Thanks

but as I said it is clean and it runs fine in bios and Mem Test.

Yeah, but the BIOS and memtest do not access the hard drive so its not generating much heat. Sometimes you get a failure of one thing caused by another and its masked because you are looking at the wrong thing. If you had to pull the CMOS while doing the jack job maybe something is not set right, but still I would try to be sure of no clogs, no loose or unseated cables and then try anything that will excercise the drive or the whole system like windows does to see if its really windows or just some heat threshold.

Maybe put in an linux disk with a bootable environment that will let you beat up the machine for a while.

http://www.knoppix.com/

Last edited:
Tried Linux Boot Disk

I am trying file wizard now just so I could see if anything else made it shut off. I didn't really think it could be the hard drive I just wanted to add some stress to it. I will run a hard disk test on it from a boot disk.
I did check the entire fan and it is clean.

okay

So far as I can tell. It has nothing to do with the ram, with it being clogged, with the hard drive or loose cables.
It stays on as long as it is in bios or any ram loaded utility. But a linux boot disc or mini xp causes the fan to stop and not restart.
Anyone anywhere have an idea what may be causing this.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the fan is going.

I had a client's laptop that did something similar. The fan would run periodically but mostly would stay off. I could stick a paper clip into the bottom vent (you could easily see the fan in this model) and force the fan spinning again and it would run for a bit and stop. Changed the fan out and it works perfectly.

Just note that the fan was not hitting anything either. After I returned to him the laptop, I was messing with it and pushed in on the center of the fan, it made a clicking sound like something snapped back into place. Hooked it up to a battery and it spun freely whereas before it wouldn't spin at all. Not sure what came loose in it, but I doubt it would have been reliable for much longer.

Last edited:
Can you guess how long between the fan stopping and the system shutting down ?.

Can you turn OFF fan learning, its possible the machine is "adjusting" it incorrectly?.

Google

Averatec "fan learning"

lots of people talking about it.

Last edited:
Well

I have tried a new hard drive same results.
The fan runs continuously while in Bios, and any ram based processes which leads me to believe it is not the fan, though I have been wrong before.
There are two unknown devices in Device manager though any device I can think of at the moment is installed. All averatec lists for drivers are just the basics; LAN, WIFI, Sounds, Graphics. Nothing for Chipset or CPU. On top of that they seem to be down today when looking for driver support.

I am going to google the fan learning but there is no option to disable only to start the process of learning. Which it did not seem to learn after many "successful" attempts of doing so.

Last thing is to replace the fan. Client needs it back for some work today so it may not be til later next week to see if that works as I don't have one for that model on hand to test.
Major headache. Search goes on.

Fixed

It was an issue with the fan control / temp control. It obviously was not working correctly and would not turn the fan back on when the cpu was heating up.
I wish I knew exactly how it was fixed but I had to use a partner company. The temp control was disabled somehow (not in the bios cause it doesn't have the option) so now the fan just stays on. Anyway it has been a while since it was fixed and I've been busy but thought I'd post an update.

Back