[SOLVED] ASUS Zenbook LED backlight question / screen replacement

PC Ops

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an issue with a laptop and I’m pretty much stuck. It came in with display issues. It was obvious it needed a screen replacement (half of screen was a blurry and bleeding, well just a mess and hooking it up to an external monitor worked just fine.) So I disassembled it, took out the screen, ordered a replacement. Easy as pie. Well… no.

Laptop is an ASUS UX31E Zenbook which has a 13.3" 16:9 HD+ (1600x900) LED Backlight screen.

Yes, an ultrabook and taking apart the screen was no fun at all (double sided tape…) . This is my first ever ultrabook screen replacement and I might just have done something wrong, or...?

When I received the replacement I immediately noticed I only received the LCD panel. When I disassembled the screen I took out that same part PLUS a couple of layers/sheets of white and semi-see-through sheets with a spectrum colored or 'oil-on-water-like’ glow over it, which were behind of it. I assumed (yes…. mother of all…) that I’d receive a complete screen, so with all that attached, place it in the back cover, tape it shut and move on to the next patient.

Now I’m stuck with the question: in which order do I put these layers back? I'm just happy I didn't throw them away immediately after disassembly. Luckily the client is not in a hurry, I already informed him of the delay.

The anatomy of a screen is unknown to me. I did plenty ‘normal’ replacements but never took apart the display itself.

These are those layers.

1 hard plastic / clear see-through.

2 white / non see-through.

3 blurry or milky semi see-through.

4 blurry or milky less than semi see-through with an ‘oil-on-water-like’ glow.

5 somewhat see-through with an ‘oil-on-water-like’ glow over it. The two sides are not identical. Looking through one side (holding it in front of me) shows me what’s behind of it but lower. Like a horizontal spectrum. The other side is a lot harder to see through due to a mirror-like effect.

6 Same as 5 but the see-through side seems to show objects in a vertical spectrum.

Now I could just try some different combinations and see which one works best but I’m hesitant detaching and re-attaching it so many times. Obviously, since it’s an ultrabook, all connections are a really small and fragile. Breaking something else in a testing process is not something I’d enjoy very much.

I searched the TN forums on ‘LED backlit’ and ‘LED backlight’ but none of the posts it found were relevant.

Through Google I found plenty of screen replacements (video’s and pictures) but nothing about the anatomy of this particular LED backlight.

Here is a video on Youtube I found. This guy takes apart the entire laptop but if you only watch between 43:00 and 44:00 you’ll see what I’m up against. This video does tell me that the white sheet is the last one.

Any help whatsoever would be appreciated.

I did contact the supplier because I just received the LCD panel and not a complete screen. I feel a screen is the LCD panel + backlight, all-in-one. (Am I right?) They advertise it as a screen, not an LCD panel.

They basically told me to replace the LCD panel and leave the LED backlight in place because an ultraslim model (like this one) is different than a regular LED backlit display. That info doesn't help very much.

Unfortunately I was unable to find a service manual on the interwebz, that might have helped.

Thanks in advance for any tips / help.

EDIT nov. 25th: maybe I should add that the LCD panel and the LED backlight never were 1 part as a whole to begin with. You can see in the video at 43:34 how he's needs to hold the sheets (part of the backlight) against the LCD panel so that they don't separate.
Of course I could have bought a complete screen assembly but that's just way too expensive.

Last edited:
You should just replace the LCD panel as a whole - not take it all apart. Generally it should take no more than 15 minutes to change out a panel (after you've gotten some experience doing so.)

There should be a sticker on the rear of the LCD Panel with all of the necessary information regarding the screen. Copy the info down and look on ebay or somewhere like that for the replacement unit cost.

Yes, that was how it should go in my mind too. But I only received the LCD panel.The seller told me that since this is an ultra slimline screen, I should leave the LED backlight in the cover and just replace the panel only. But that ship has sailed. I took out both the panel and the backlight (the sheets) not knowing I would only receive the panel.

Never had this happen before. Never worked on an ultra slimline screen before either.

EDIT nov. 25th: maybe I should add that the LCD panel and the LED backlight never were 1 part as a whole to begin with. You can see in the video at 43:34 how he's needs to hold the sheets (part of the backlight) against the LCD panel so that they don't separate.
Of course I could have bought a complete screen assembly but that's just way too expensive.

I also contacted ASUS support for any clues but I don't think they're willing to share any info since they're trying so hard to keep their service manuals off of the internet. But hey, my e-mail might just end up with a friendly face. We'll see.

Last edited:
Yes, that was how it should go in my mind too. But I only received the LCD panel.The seller told me that since this is a slimline screen, I should leave the LED backlight in the cover and just replace the panel only. But that ship has sailed. I took out both the panel and the backlight (the sheets) not knowing I would only receive the panel.

Never had this happen before. Never worked on a slimline screen before either.

I also contacted ASUS support for any clues but I don't think they're willing to share any info since they're trying so hard to keep their service manuals off of the internet. But hey, my e-mail might just end up with a friendly face. We'll see.
I know I live far away but I had a Asus UX31A that was my personal laptop the motherboard went out on. I haven't got around to parting it out yet if your interested in the full assembly. From what I looked in to the ux31e and ux31a are almost identical.

I know I live far away but I had a Asus UX31A that was my personal laptop the motherboard went out on. I haven't got around to parting it out yet if your interested in the full assembly. From what I looked in to the ux31e and ux31a are almost identical.
I appreciated the offer. Thanks. I might just take you up on that but first I want / need to exhaust other possibilities.

I'm in contact with ASUS, as soon as all is clear, as far as answers to all questions I had concerned, I will post the outcome here.

Meanwhile, if anyone has knowledge of the anatomy of an LED backlight like this one, feel free to share your thoughts. Completing the repair with the parts I currently have has my preference of course.

EDIT: just found out the new LCD-panel is defective too.... multiple vertical stripes.... :mad::mad::mad:
This is gonna be one to remember :eek:

Last edited:
Okay so to give this post a proper ending:

I contacted ASUS tech support after searching what feels like the entire internet for clues.

They told me they always replace complete modules, never only the LCD panel. Like Altster mentioned above.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to find complete modules and although ASUS told me they cost €200 (=219 US$) they didn't want to sell me one but they did want to fix it for me for €70 (=77 US$). Those two numbers put together was more than my client wanted to pay and more than I would pay myself.

This Zenbook won't be fixed I guess. Client was happy with the tip to use it connected to an external screen. It doesn't take a lot of space and has plenty of life in it to just ignore.

This was a first one for me. Next time I get an ultra slimline notebook in for a screen repair I'll think twice before saying: "Hey, no problem!" ;)

Last edited:
Back