[SOLVED] ASUS PCE-AC68 WiFi Adapter is LOUD

Appletax

Reaction score
I bought the Asus PCE-AC68 wireless adapter and from the beginning it had been making an annoying sound when it is active, especially when it's doing heavy download/uploads. I returned the unit to Amazon and got a brand new one manufactured in 2014 and it has the same problem. This is supposed to be top-of-the-line, but it is not. I have a HAF case so the noise bleeds right out. It's the loudest piece of hardware in my case. What makes it annoying most of all is that it is a pulsating, unpleasant sound.

I would like to get a different adapter, but don't know what I should get? Are other adapters loud as well? I don't need wireless AC so N would be just fine.

I'm interested in this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704133

Here's what another person had to say about it:

Overall, this antenna accomplishes what it says it does in terms of performance and reliability. I have to say, though, that I am a little disappointed with it because of the noise. This adapter is bar-none the loudest component in my entire desktop--it's substantially louder than my fans and GPU. You can tell when internet packets are being sent/received because this thing makes a prolonged stalling sound. The noise occurs without prejudice, whether I'm engaged in intensive gaming or simply loading a webpage. I am uncertain if it is characteristic of only my individual model, or whether all models of the adapter are this loud.

Edit: returned and do not recommend buying

Last edited:
I told customer service about this and they just recommended that I RMA it. That makes no sense since all the units do the same thing.

Right they've made 1000s of them and they have to unload them somewhere. Sure prob only 20% are returned because of the hassles of RMAs, and then they'll just refurb them anyway.

I've heard various electronic components whistle, buzz and squeal but they usually sing their song before failing. Since you swapped it must be a design flaw.

I just glanced at Neweggs "con" reviews and no one else mentioned the noise.

Install the unit in a different PC and see if it's still noisy. Try touching the unit while downloading to see if it's a sympathetic vibration as opposed to a failing or noisy component.

Maybe an RMA will help. It's possible a few adapters left manufacturing with marginal components.

Tech Support
Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is Joe and it is my pleasure to help you with your problem.

Thank you for yout question. But the PEC-AC68 is a wireless adapter and there is no something like fan in it. How could it be noisy?

^ IDIOT

Asus customer service blows...

Last edited:
Just for grins, have you tried it in a different system?

The only system I could put it in is one at my college. It's plugged into a brand new Asus Maximus VI Formula board ($300) and there's no other issues with the system. I could put it in another PCIe slot.

Me
It emits a loud noise whenever it processes data. Since you do not know what the problem is, I would appreciate it if you would pass this issue on to another person in tech support who may be able to assist me better.

Asus - Joe
Thank you for your feedback. Now you could call this phone.
Here is the phone number: 812-282-2787 We are available monday through friday 8:30 AM EST to midnight EST and on the weekends 9:00 am EST to 6:00 pm EST.

I hooked up the wireless AC combo card that came with my mobo and it works perfect so I'm going to return the WiFi adapter, which I didn't need in the first place.

Back