Anyone sell and support Tablets? other ideas on what to sell in storefront?

drnick5

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I have a store front that isn't used for much retail, and I'm looking to change that. Currently we have a desktop and a laptop for sale, when one sells I order another one. but besides that, we really don't have much of a retail presence.

i've been thinking about trying to sell Android tablets now that you can find a decent quality one for well under $200 (looking at Asus tablets to start with). I figure I can buy an Asus tab for around $130 and sell it for $200. the problem, is support. With a laptop or desktop, we can remote into it if the customer has problem. With a tablet, that isn't possible as far as I can tell (and trust me, I've looked).

The other issue I see is the customer, they might buy a tablet, then call us saying they need their crappy ISP's POP account email on it (I hate POP email). Or asking how to get Microsoft Word installed on it. It just seems like selling tablets might open Pandoras box with loads of questions combined with difficulty in support. We aren't really set up for working with customers 1 on 1 in the store as the front area is pretty small. So our options are to go onsite and bill for time or have them drop it off for service.

One idea we had was bundling in an hour of onsite time with the tablet price to include an inhome personalized setup. My issue with this would be pricing the item too high and having ti not sell, or worse, having other issues and the customer expecting for us to come back onsite for free to fix the problem. (most customers are understanding of our time, but others, as I'm sure you know, don't really care and assume we are waiting around for them to call and for us to jump).

As sort of an aside, I'm looking for ideas on other things we can be selling out front, my 1st idea was HDMI or other cables. Although we don't sell TV's or any A/V equipment, having decent and cheap HDMI cables ($10, instead of the standard $20-$50 at a best buy) could sell, and its a pretty minimal investment.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions or criticisms are appreciated!

Back