A critical software update is required for your Mac

Rigo

Reaction score
Hello foks,
Replaced the broken screen assembly on this MacBook Pro 2017, everything worked well. I thought.
I did notice the sound level wasn't high but it was sufficient for me whilst working on it.
The OS was still on Sierra so I sent a quote to upgrade to Big Sur, could take Monterey but I suggested holding off on that for the next couple of month as it's only been freshly released.
Customer collected after being shown all working fine.
We discussed the OS upgrade, she reckoned some relative might be able to do it for her. No worries.
Couple of days later she called about the touch bar seems to not be working when trying to adjust the sound volum. Could this be due to the screen replacement?
As the screen assembly replacement only requires removing the wifi antenna bar only to get done, just couldn't see how that would affect it.
She also had downloaded High Sierra to try and do the upgrades herself and wanted to check with me whether that might interfere troubleshooting the sound issue. Highly unlikely from my understanding, and probably actually advisable since that could reset whatever may have gone wonky.
Few more days later she called. As she couldn't install the update from the package (didn't know how to?) she rang up Apple support. Somehow this ended up with a clean wipe of the SSD plus attempt to re-install from scratch.
That didn't work.
So I got back the unit.
Yes, I could successfully install: High Sierra, Catalina, Mojave, Monterey from USB.
However after rebooting the new install would request reconfiguring the wireless connection, followed by the message that an update was required, then failing to complete the download with two propositions: shutdown - try again and going no further.
As said that happened to the four os levels I tried.
Disk utility repair did not find any physical problem, so I'm stumped.
Any suggestion welcome :)

The issue is with the touchbar firmware that needs to be updated but seeing the touchbar is not working the only option is to replace the topcase assembly (AASP solution) or you could try to replace just the touchbar with OEM solution (if you feel comfortable doing it), I had the exact same issue this week but in my case the MacBook has liquid damage and the touchbar was not working prior to the liquid damage

you could try to replace just the touchbar with OEM solution
Thanks for the quick reply mate.
If I can get the part I might be game to give it a shot.
The original screen was cracked along the bottom strip of the screen with MacBook Pro logo and the screen only worked when opened at about 30º and would go off when opened any further.
She reckon the touch bar was working before the accident (she doesn't know how it actually happened 🤔 ).
Could the screen cracking have shot the touch bar?
There was no liquid spillage in this case, I do get those too 😒

Thanks for the quick reply mate.
If I can get the part I might be game to give it a shot.
The original screen was cracked along the bottom strip of the screen with MacBook Pro logo and the screen only worked when opened at about 30º and would go off when opened any further.
She reckon the touch bar was working before the accident (she doesn't know how it actually happened 🤔 ).
Could the screen cracking have shot the touch bar?
There was no liquid spillage in this case, I do get those too 😒

Hardly because the touchbar connector is on the logic board, and you don’t disconnect it to replace it

Hardly because the touchbar connector is on the logic board, and you don’t disconnect it to replace it
How would you do it without disconnecting?
at 11:55 about this guy is disconneting the touch bar to remove it.
Unless I misunderstood what you meant 🤔

For want of a noun, the meaning was lost...
For want of a meaning, the repair was lost...
For want of a repair, the Macbook was lost...
For want of a Macbook, something something.....I think I've tortured this metaphor enough!

did not compute lol

To replace the display you are not required to disconnect the touchbar
I've replaced the touchbar (2 sets), the whole palmrest assembly, still the touchbar firmware fails to install.
Then after much reading it appears that wiping the drive in these laptops with touchbar is a very bad idea as apparently there would be a partition reserved for the touchbar that shouldn't be messed up with.
Hit a wall with this job and unfortunately an expensive mess for the client 😒

I've replaced the touchbar (2 sets), the whole palmrest assembly, still the touchbar firmware fails to install.
Then after much reading it appears that wiping the drive in these laptops with touchbar is a very bad idea as apparently there would be a partition reserved for the touchbar that shouldn't be messed up with.
Hit a wall with this job and unfortunately an expensive mess for the client 😒

unfortunatly you will only be able to solve with original apple genuine apple parts

Back