6-32 Security Torx Screws

NETWizz

Reaction score
Okay, we have all seen HP (and similar) computers with Torx scrws though they generally have a slotted top, so a flat head screwdriver can remove them, too.

Anyway, as you know the standard screw in a computer is a 6/32 .15 to .25 inch screw, which is most commonly serviced with a #2 philips screwdriver.

Here is the thing, I help a friend out with his business from time to time taking certain jobs and also consulting with him whenever he is having difficulty solving a problem with a customer's computer. Whenever there is a networking problem, I am the guy he calls (but that is irrelevant for this).

In his policy, he offers customers a loaner PC on the basis he is going to keep their computer over-night or perform more than $150 worth of work.

Things he has done to the loaners:
1. BIOS/CMOS Password
2. Set boot order to only boot from the Hard Drive
3. Set windows up to not require a logon password
4. Created a Ghost 8 image for each loaner
5. Put a tamper-resistant sticker on the case to verify it hasn't been opened.
6. Put his company logo on a sticker on the cases.
7. Painted the word Loaner on the cases.

After talking with me we did this:

1. Setup Windows Deployment services and made a .WIM image, so he could PXE boot to re-image a drive. Also did SysPrep, MySysprep, and Sysprep Driver Scanner and put ALL the drivers for ALL the loaners on there, so there is only one image now. The mini-setup/sysprep process takes about 7 minutes to complete.
2. Removed the tamper-resistant stickers (you will see why later)
3. Bought a hard disk duplicator
4. We imaged 1 hard drive then used a disk duplicator on another 15 and bought extra drive rails for each drive to go in each case, so each time a loaner comes back he can just swap the hard drive before giving it to the next customer and put the removed drive back in the "dirty" pile. Then a few days later he runs the disk duplicator again on the dirty pile and adds them back to the "clean" pile.
EVERY SINGLE TIME THE LOANERS ARE REIMAGED
5. Instead of Tamper Resistant stickers, I had him buy these "6-32 Security Screws" because most everyone has a #2 philips screwdriver but not security torx screwdrivers, so most customers will not be able to open the case: http://www.pccables.com/07013.html

Attachments

• 07013.jpg
    07013.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 91
That's a good idea, i had to pick up a security torx driver a little while back when I started working on Xbox's (The controllers use them). Like you said, I don't think you will find too many customers that have one.

Back