1780 Disk 0 Failure Problem

dertu43

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Problem with an Old Compaq Deskpro En Series SFF Desktop from 1998.
When it Boots Up it comes up with 1780 Disk 0 Failure. It will also then give you an option to boot to an IDE Disc Drive with a copy of XP where the new hard drive I'm using is being detected by the Windows Disk.

It will let me install a copy of windows however, after rebooting to finish the install off it just comes back to that message!

I've tried formatting the Hard Drive, and also using multiple known working hard drives to see if it was the hard drive's fault.

If trying to install a copy of windows 95 or 98 it will go straight into the Diagnostic Tools rather than the Installer.

Any Help Would Be Appreciated.

If anyone

Did you do a long format? Or quick? Try long to see if it can complete (thinking maybe bad sectors). If it tests ok, could be hard drive cable? Mobo? Do you have another drive to test installing OS on in computer? Is the OS you're installing the original one that came with computer?

Hi All,

I have a Problem with an Old Compaq Deskpro En Series SFF Desktop from 1998.
When it Boots Up it comes up with 1780 Disk 0 Failure. It will also then give you an option to boot to an IDE Disc Drive with a copy of XP where the new hard drive I'm using is being detected by the Windows Disk.

It will let me install a copy of windows however, after rebooting to finish the install off it just comes back to that message!

I've tried formatting the Hard Drive, and also using multiple known working hard drives to see if it was the hard drive's fault.

If trying to install a copy of windows 95 or 98 it will go straight into the Diagnostic Tools rather than the Installer.

Any Help Would Be Appreciated.

If anyone

According to Compaq codes the code 1780 - Disk 0 failure = format error

Have you tried resetting bios and then totally wiping drive, partitions and all?

I know you tried other drives so I'd actually run the diagnostics built into BIOS, basic but may point to whats wrong.

What size is drive? SFF series could only see 132GB I think. Got one in storage somewhere from the past and I seem to remember hitting the size issue.

Try a small drive and see if thats Ok first maybe?

Did you run fdisk? You might try it and check to see if the partition is set active, bootable, etc. If you removed any other multi-boot manager, the Mbr might be messed up.

Back