“Verification of replica failed. The forest functional level is not supported. Server 2019 domain or domain controller, the forest functional level mu

Reaction score
I started to add my new server to the existing forest but got this error message. “Verification of replica failed. The forest functional level is not supported. Server 2019 domain or domain controller, the forest functional level must be windows server 2008 or higher”

So I know I need to go to domains users and trusts to elevate the old exiting domain to an elevated state of 2008 or higher. All well and good but I then get this warning message that this in un reversible and may need to migrate the DC to use DFS replication from FRS. The migration tool looks straight forward but I am not familiar with this, have you EVER encountered this?

What is happening is the server 2019 is attempting to join an existing forest with a server 2012 installation.

So I think the elevation portion is straight forward, but the frs/dfs migration is of a concern. Can anyone shed light and reassure this is an easy process?

Back