XP sold in 3 pack?

mikesit

Reaction score
I had a client call me stating he bought a XP 3-pack a while ago and only installed on 1 desktop and not would like me to install it on a laptop too.

Does anyone know if XP was sold in 3packs?

I don't recall any such type of package that was sold to end users. The only way I remember to get more than one was to either buy a system builder pack or volume licensing.

That aside, I'm curious if he's thinking "Service Pack 3" means that he has three licenses. I've heard of people being confused by less.

I thought the samething. Also, he doesn't have an paperwork.

Is there a way to even verify a 3pack product key?

I don't recall any such type of package that was sold to end users. The only way I remember to get more than one was to either buy a system builder pack or volume licensing.

That aside, I'm curious if he's thinking "Service Pack 3" means that he has three licenses. I've heard of people being confused by less.

I'll place my bet with "...Pack 3", too.

If it truly was some form of a 3-pack, he'd have to have three different keys, right? If he's got 3 then... maybe.

I vaguely remember a local computer store selling XP in packs of 3 and possibly Amazon at one point. He should have three separate keys, but if your in doubt, Microsoft should be able to tell you if the keys are legit.

You sure he doesn't mean Office? Those were sold with 3 licenses and I know that people people say Windows, but mean Office all the time.

Service pack 3 also makes sense and could cause the confusion.

OEM versions of Windows, going back to at least Windows 2000, were always sold in single pack, 3 pack, and 30 pack options. The multipacks were just multiples of the OEM packaging (with the booklet, CD/DVD, and OEM license sticker on the outside and sold at a slight discount over the single pack. Windows 7 is still available in a 3 pack:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116984

OEM versions of Works also came in single, 3, or 30 packs.

The only version of Office with 3 activations on one sticker is Office Home & Student.

The XP 3 pack came in a brown cardboard box with a white sticker on the outside explaining the OEM SystemBuilder license. When you opened the box, there was a orange or white sheet of card stock paper that explained the fact that the license key must be attached to the computer it was being installed on. The 3 single packs of XP in that package were individually wrapped and had the XP booklet with CD attached, in clear plastic overwrap with a cardboard backing. The license sticker was attached to the front of the overwrap.

ok, but this guy has no documentation and only a single product key...is there a way to verify with only a product key?

I had a client call me stating he bought a XP 3-pack a while ago and only installed on 1 desktop and not would like me to install it on a laptop too.

Does anyone know if XP was sold in 3packs?

Is he giving you an official CD and an actual COA sticker?

Rick

thanks for the help guys, but with no documentation I told the client it is best to purchase a new product key for the system and he agreed.

Back