XP Embedded troubleshooting - Printing

kc0eks

Reaction score
Hello all again!

Since the support I have received here has been amazing so far, here goes!

I support a business with multiple thin clients with XP embedded. So far I have decided they are a royal pain in the you know what.

The issue now is that printing randomly stops working, and wont start working again until it is rebooted.

Event logs are cleared at each reboot so this makes my job a bit harder.

I have tried to collect logs via WMI remotely, but this will not work for some reason. I get access denied when connecting remotely. I have already gone through the MS troubleshooting for WMI and a few other posts I found, none worked.

I also tried setting the thin client to print direct to the network printer, this did not help.

Upgraded drivers also, no go.

So, how in the heck do you troubleshoot a problem that never happens when you try to reproduce it? And you have no logs to help?

This printer is a network printer, shared on the server. All of the thinclients have this same problem, however normal desktops do not.

Thanks all!

does this printer happen to be a parallel port printer?

The printers that are causing issues are a networked Canon, and 2 receipt printers that are networked. All of the network printers are stand-alone and not directly connected to a computer.

And this problem does not happen on normal desktop computers, even when the thin clients have problems.

Me too!

Hello all again!

Since the support I have received here has been amazing so far, here goes!

I support a business with multiple thin clients with XP embedded. So far I have decided they are a royal pain in the you know what.

The issue now is that printing randomly stops working, and wont start working again until it is rebooted.

Event logs are cleared at each reboot so this makes my job a bit harder.

I have tried to collect logs via WMI remotely, but this will not work for some reason. I get access denied when connecting remotely. I have already gone through the MS troubleshooting for WMI and a few other posts I found, none worked.

I also tried setting the thin client to print direct to the network printer, this did not help.

Upgraded drivers also, no go.

So, how in the heck do you troubleshoot a problem that never happens when you try to reproduce it? And you have no logs to help?

This printer is a network printer, shared on the server. All of the thinclients have this same problem, however normal desktops do not.

Thanks all!

I'm having the same issues with getting the thin clients to print to network printers using RDP. I have found the the ip ports are not mapped for printing by default. Does anyone have experience with this?

Back