WSUS OFFLINE ditches XP support in latest version (9.3)

PC Ops

Reaction score
WSUS OFFLINE ditches XP support in latest version (9.3) :confused:

Don't really understand why. There are still plenty XP boxes around. They could have kept it under the legacy tab if you ask me. Guess we'll have to keep version 9.2.1 separately.

Modifications in version 9.3
  • NOTE: If you customized your copy of WOU using the script AddCustomLanguageSupport.cmd {lng}, please call it again once (per language) to get the appropriate .NET 4.5.2 language pack(s) downloaded
  • .NET Framework 4.5 updated to v. 4.5.2 (Thanks to "harry")
  • Support removed for Windows XP since Microsoft discontinued support for it on April 8th, 2014 (see http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223)
  • Support removed for Office 2003 since Microsoft discontinued support for it on April 8th, 2014 (see http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=2488)
  • ISO and USB filters adjusted (Thanks to "harry" and "Matjes")
  • Fix: UpdateGenerator and UpdateInstaller dialog scaling corrected for Windows 8 / 8.1 and Server 2012 (R2) systems (Thanks to "fly")
  • Fix: Microsoft corrected Windows 8.1 Update 1 (kb2919355) again by adding clearcompressionflag.exe
  • Fix: Download part missed Security Update kb2880463 for Office 2013 (Thanks to "Gerby")

Source.

Last edited:
I also noticed that XP had been dropped, when I updated WSUS offline few days ago.

I'm not concerned about it since I don't many (or any) calls to update Win XP.

I also noticed that XP had been dropped, when I updated WSUS offline few days ago.

I'm not concerned about it since I don't many (or any) calls to update Win XP.

Au contrere.
I still have a number of XP customers. I use wsus to perform the "final" set of updates.

I think this omission is a big mistake.

Will they remove office 2003 support as well ?

Just use the previous version and create an XP/Office 2003 iso. Slightly less convenient, but they shouldn't need updating...

Exactly.

Thanks for the heads-up on this, though. Without it, I might have updated it and lost that option. I'll make the ISO tomorrow and leave it in my ISO folder.

Last edited:
Just use the previous version and create an XP/Office 2003 iso. Slightly less convenient, but they shouldn't need updating...

Or "copy updates to USB directory". This afternoon I created a 3 GB folder of updates which shouldn't need updating.

Given this solution, removing Win XP and Office 2003 makes sense - it keeps things simple by removing the updates which are no longer being updated.

I've not updated the new version yet. Does it delete the downloaded stack? If not then there is no worries. I keep the entire stack for everything on external HDDs and on my server. If the stack is still there and the updater program will still run on Xp then there is no issue.

Back