Wow, has paint gotten expensive!

HCHTech

Reaction score
I mean, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but apparently it's been a while since I've purchased any. $98 for a single gallon of exterior acrylic latex today. $98! I wanted to keep the same brand and paint line so there would be a good color match, so I didn't have the luxury to shop around.

A 4L can here will set you back anywhere from $120 to $170 (Depending on brand)
Dulux, Taubmans, Wattyl, British Paints etc are all premium priced.

I also want to add that the accuracy of color matching is astounding. I've had to match across brands more than once, and it was uncanny how perfect it was compared to what it was just a couple of decades ago

I live in a stone house. When I was looking to paint the outside door thresholds, I took a piece of STONE to the paint store, they scanned it on their color match computer and gave me a list of options for colors that would be in the same palette. Driving home, I though my choice would turn out to be wrong, but they turned out great. Trying to touch up an already-painted wall, though - I've had bad experience trying to go across brands. Could have just been operator (of their color computer) error, but I try to stick with the same brand if I can for those jobs.

@GTP , holy hell - $170 - oh wait, aussie dollars conversion - $114 american - right in the same ballpark.

Reactions: GTP
Part of a neighboring county recycling program includes paint. We too are painting our home this year and through their program, I purchased 3 5-gallon buckets of paint for the body and two 5-gallon buckets of paint for the trim for $67.50 each with my senior discount. I used the same paint last time we painted about 13 years ago. It has really held up well and I have no complaints.

Back