Windows XP - What version?

Brandonjones

Reaction score
I had a friend bring me his computer and asked me to reload it. The restore partition is toast, and I reformatted the drive not thinking about looking to see what version of XP it was. So not I have a laptop, a windows XP key, but I have not idea what version of XP the key goes with. Any ideas how I can find out? I tried Googleing the key, but no luck. The tag that has the key on the back is faded and the version os windows is gone- I can barley read the key.

Why would you google the key unless you suspected it was pirated (in which case, you wouldn't have it on the COA)?

Trial by fire time -- pick a version and start installing and hope that the key works. If it doesn't, start again.

You didnt give make \ model \vintage of laptop. If its not a business grade item I'd go for Home. Anyway the licence key is required early on in instalation.
4 posts 3 years? Dude where have you been hiding?

I lurk the forums some, but that is it unless I have a question. I tried Home Edition but that did not work. Guess I can try Media Center. It is a Gateway Netbook LT20. Thanks for replies. Maybe I can find a little time and become more active.

Unless you like installing XP, I'd recommend going straight to Pro. Since its a Netbook, it probably has ulcpc on it, which is installed from a pro disk. If it is media center, it will also install with the pro disk, just wont activate.

The tag that has the key on the back is faded and the version os windows is gone- I can barley read the key.

Call Gateway to order recovery disks and use an external DVD rom to install.

What version of windows XP home? OEM or Retail?

This says it shipped with SP3, are you using a correct SP3 disk?

It's been a while since I've dealt with this, but this is all that comes to mind right now.

What version of windows XP home? OEM or Retail?

This says it shipped with SP3, are you using a correct SP3 disk?

It's been a while since I've dealt with this, but this is all that comes to mind right now.

From the specs link provided by altrenda

Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Home (Service Pack 3)
Windows® 7 Starter Edition

I only had a XP SP3 disc, so that may be the issue. There is no way this system had Windows 7 Starter Edition on it. It only has 512MB of RAM. I will try to get a XP SP3 disc and see what if that works.

Thanks all for the Ideas!

I only had a XP SP3 disc, so that may be the issue. There is no way this system had Windows 7 Starter Edition on it. It only has 512MB of RAM. I will try to get a XP SP3 disc and see what if that works.

Thanks all for the Ideas!

Possible but I would not guarantee that Gateway would not sell a laptop with 512mb with W7 starter.

Can your friend confirm is was XP. The start buttons between 7 and XP. Also, what has been done to the drive. You said format. Exactly how? If it was a simple format and nothing else done then you may be able to use testdisk to find a backup partition table. I've done that a few times and it's worked on occasion.

Also you can call M$ customer support. In the past I have seen comments where techs gave support a call and provided them a key and they told them what version it was for.

You can look up the SN at Gateway but I do not know if the default OS is the one it shipped with. I checked my SN on a Gateway laptop I have and it defaulted to W8 which is what it came with. But it was also the first entry in the list.

http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/drivers-downloads

Also Gateway may tell you what it shipped with if you give them the SN.

Back