Windows Vista

I've probably been called out to about 6 Vista related issues so far and not really had any that were unsolvable. Just a new challenge!
I guess not too many of us have done much research for Vista or really learnt the OS yet??

I tend to scratch my head a bit (in my mind) as a lot of issue resolving is trial and error at the moment. With XP we know what different errors mean from experience.

One this week was with Sage Line 50, two user accounts (Admins) on Vista business - I could open the company accounts file from one user name but not from the other (not heard of in XP) After 2 hours of trying different workarounds I uninstalled and reinstalled Sage direct on "C" NOT in program files and it worked fine. Hope this saves someone 2 hours work one day!

I'm also now running Vista and XP on my work laptop - I previously had just Vista installed but I couldn't get around it fast enough when time was short at a job.

Definately not as many call outs to Vista as there were to XP when it was released - but maybe like others have said - No one has Vista!

Dell seems to only see Vista now
Thier business lines offer option to get XP still thier consumer line is all Vista though. Basicly no one does XP anymore you have to dig out a copy somewhere on the web to install if you can get XP Drivers for the hardware of the machine.

I know Vista has its work arounds like any OS I just haven't had time to learn them so I don't want to have to learn them on the job too often yet.

I know this is an old thread but looking back at the first year of Vista and soon to be released SP1 I would like to throw in a comment that after all this time I am still unimpressed with it. I still only build PCs with XP and every Vista machine I have been called to repair so far has been a headache.

Although I recommended my customers wait until SP1 is released, according to Microsoft it will contain mostly security patches and an upgrade to the search feature. If that is true, I may just wait until SP2.

Vista was not rushed onto the market but it seems that it was at times. I would have felt better about it had the major brands like dell not started pushing it down our throats with little options. I think vista will get better with each service pack just like xp did. Don't remember just how bad it was? Try installing an old copy of xp without any service pack. I also blame the software manufacturers for a lot of the problems. Its not like vista was a surprise most of us have known about it sense the first talk of linghorn some 3 years ago. It should be illegal for a company to have vista compatible printed on their box and when you try to install it the first thing you see is "this software has known compatibility issues". All this could mean was the software company did not even test this program on a real vista machine, and by that I mean all versions of vista from home basic 32 bit to ultimate 64 bit.

I would have felt better about it had the major brands like dell not started pushing it down our throats with little options.

Im not gunna entirely disagree but I do find it amusing as Dell is the only brand name I know to still offer XP as an option. They do only offer it on the business line but hey those are the only models they make that don't seem to be a POS.

I am hanging out for a service pack as well. However, the service pack could possibly make things even worse as well. Remember the woes with Service Pack 2 for XP?

Back