Windows Update Issues

snifferpro

Reaction score
I'm currently on Win 10 Pro 1607 14393.1198.

I've had to hide updates that keep trying to download and install and fail. The biggest culprit is KB3150513.
I'm also having issues with KB4025376, KB4022715, and KB4025339. I've used the show/hide utility to hide these updates as they continually download and try to install and eventually fail.

Steps I have taken.

Downloaded each of the failing updates one at a time from the Microsoft Update Catalog and attempted to install as stand alone updates. All the updates fail. KB3150513 does return a message that "this update is not applicable to your system".

If it is not applicable, why does it keep trying to download it if I unhide it and let automatic updates try to install it?

Ran sfc /scannow
Ran dism both online and offline.
Dism offline reports that it can't find the file required form an ISO of 14393 and points me to the CBS log file which lists these 2 errors.
"

(p) CBS Catalog Missing Package_1_for_KB3150513~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.11
(p) CBS Catalog Missing Package_for_KB3150513~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.11"

With updates that are in question hidden I still get Windows Defender updates.

I have wasted more than 18 hours trying to get this issue resolved with no success. I'm now at a point that I'm considering downloading the ISO for Creators Update to install creators update. My question regarding this is will I have issues installing CU because there are hidden updates that have not been installed for 1607 14393.1198?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

So you're having problems with an OS and you can't fix it? So you just want to, essentially, ignore the problems and move on? 18 hours? Giving a customer a computer back that is not updating properly is a disaster waiting to happen. Nothing personal mind you, but that's just a bad business decision. If it was me, after a couple of hours, it'd be nuke and pave time.

Did you make sure you have the correct files? They do come in two flavors, 32bit and 64 bit.
For grins have you run Tweaking's AIO tool?
Did you try doing a block level image to a known good HD and then update?
Have you stripped out all unnecessary peripherals/cards?

Future updates will fail when dependencies are not met. This applies to all modern OS's.

First off, this is my own desktop. Not a customers.
I definitely have the 64bit version iso. I have not run Tweakings AIO. I'm not sure it resolves Windows update issues.
I have done imaging at least twice with exact same results.

Is the Creators Update really considered an update or is it a replacement for 1607 14393.1198

I forgot to mention that I have also run the Windows Troubleshooter multiple times and it always says it fixed issues, but the same updates continue to fail. Troubleshooter fixes nothing.

I know people think nuke and pave is the answer, but I don't believe that is really a solution to a problem that has been created by Microsoft Update. Nuke and pave means that all my third party software has to be re-installed - meaning hours and hours of work.
Not acceptable.

If an update is not applicable to my system it should not constantly attempt to download and install. To me that is a Microsoft issue.

Understood.

Tweaking has a number of things it does but in the end, as I understand it, it's just using builtin M$ commands. But it's easy to use, automated, so that's why I usually fire it up first rather than wanking around with individual tools. At any rate M$ has always had problems with the update system breaking. Years ago, after spending close to 20 hours on trying to fix an update issue, I vowed never more. So when the clock hits 2 hours it's nuke and pave. I also learned long ago that is what M$ support typically tells customers to do when they have difficulties. Obviously their employees have nothing better to do than sit around loading OS's, updates, and restoring settings and data.

Is there someplace I can download the ISO for Win 10 1607 14393.1358?
The ISO I have is for 1607 14393 but I don't think it is for 1198.

I suspect that the files DISM cannot find are in that ISO.

I'm now at a point that I'm considering downloading the ISO for Creators Update to install creators update.

You mean you didn't do this on the day it was released so that you could install it on a couple of test machines and be ahead of your clients when they started calling with problems? I'm shocked!
It is hard to belive a computer professional does not keep images of his/her computers on a regular basis.

It's hard to believe that a computer professional is so dependent on a single computer that nuking and paving is anything more than a minor inconvenience and an opportunity to try new stuff.

Spending eighteen hours on not fixing it versus spending two or three getting it right? That's an easy decision.

Reactions: GTP
I know people think nuke and pave is the answer, but I don't believe that is really a solution to a problem that has been created by Microsoft Update. Nuke and pave means that all my third party software has to be re-installed - meaning hours and hours of work.
Not acceptable.

If an update is not applicable to my system it should not constantly attempt to download and install. To me that is a Microsoft issue.

@snifferpro, You're getting pushback from the members here because you're talking like an end-user and not like a PC Tech professional.
  1. Even if your problem was caused by Microsoft Update, it doesn't really matter at this point does it?. The issue now is what are you going to do about it? Spending 18 hours on a single problem is not wise use of your time.

2. Furthermore, complaining that it's "somebody else's fault" gets you nowhere. Especially when you consider the number of situations we've all had where a problem's root cause was not what we thought it was.

3. Regardless of how or why a problem was created, there are times when a N&P is appropriate and you should have the necessary resources on-hand to get it done in a minimal amount of time. For example, we have the install media (ISOs, CDs and USB sticks) for every Windows release and version going back to Windows XP (and even further back if really needed).

Also, read the TN discussions on how to use pre-built images of the most common Windows releases where the available updates are already installed.

4. For customer machines, installation of 3rd-party software is generally up to them, but if they want to pay us to do it we will do what we can. (Just like for Windows, we have the install media for a variety of 3rd-party software, such as MS Office; Open Office, Libre Office (etc.), web browsers, and a bunch more)

5. For our own business and personal machines, we have the install media, license codes, and just about anything else we need to re-install our own 3rd-party software.
If a N&P is the right thing to do, our general procedure is:
  • Create a report of the current system's setup (we use AIDA (https://www.aida64.com/) for this, but there are many other similar programs available)
  • If appropriate (and it normally is), create an image backup of the HD "just in case"
  • Use Fabs (https://www.fpnet.fr/) to backup the user's data
  • Backup any other data that Fabs doesn't handle (not too much of this any more)
  • Install the OS
  • Update the drivers (we use SDI (http://www.snappy-driver-installer.org/ for this) -- which we always keep up-to-date
  • Apply the bulk of the outstanding OS updates using WSUSOffline (http://www.wsusoffline.net/) -- which we always keep up-to-date
  • Use the Windows Update function to apply the remaining updates
  • Use Fabs to restore the backed up data
  • Install any 3rd-party software as appropriate
This procedure has worked well for many years.

Last edited:
If a N&P is the right thing to do, our general procedure is
This is a very good summary of a professional nuke & pave.
Apply the bulk of the outstanding OS updates using WSUSOffline
For Windows 10, an alternative to this step is to install the latest Cumulative Update that you can download manually every month or so when it's released. Keep a copy of the latest for updating after every clean install.

I see a bunch of good stuff here, but I prefer people use the official tools for official media. All Windows 10 is here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The download Tool Now button gets you mediacreationtool.exe, which when run on any Windows machine will get an ISO image, or can be aimed at a USB drive to turn that into installation media. Personally I prefer grabbing the ISO, and using rufus to "burn" the iso to USB when needed.

Rufus is here: https://rufus.akeo.ie

P.S. Simply getting the update tool and updating to the latest release of Win10 may fix your update issues.

There's a massive difference between using a utility against official media, and using unofficial media. If that gap is too difficult for you to navigate, and you insist on maintaining this level of pedantry you're free to use the Windows 7 USB installation tool, it works against all ISO images and "burns" them to USB too.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

It's just nowhere near as easy to use. So if you want to go full anal, there you go! :D

And yes, I know you're joking. So don't misinterpret anything here with any sort of harshness, I'm just being direct. And I'm not in a mood that affords much humor at the moment. You also never quite know who is going to read this and when... full disclosure is best and I should have posted this link in the above comment.

Last edited:
Op is acting somewhat like an end user. Regardless, reinstalling Windows 10 is easy and nowhere near as involved as even Windows 7. Tweaking has saved me from reinstalling an os a few times though with that update fix.

From what I've read though, I think each Windows 10 build only gets support for about 18 months. In that case, you do realize the anniversary update was released about this time last year right? If it was my system, I'd get the tool for creators update, tell it upgrade the system, and do in place upgrade keeping all files etc and see if that solves it. If not, back up data and reinstall.

18 hours? Wow. I had a system has Windows 10 up in 30 minutes the other day. That's with a standard mechanical hard drive too. It was a Lenovo with an i5 4460s, 1tb drive, 8gb of ram in case you doubt me. But 18 hours?!?!!! Even on older systems I don't usually need more than 2 or 3 with Windows 10 these days, even on older systems.

I agree that this should have been done in about 30 minutes with fresh reinstall of Windows 10 with latest version.

Back