[SOLVED] Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware.

Larry Sabo

Reaction score
I just restored a Windows system image created using Windows backup, after finally figuring out what the following error message really means, so I thought I'd share the solution.
Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware. The image was created on a computer using BIOS and this one is using EFI.
This message really means, you are trying to restore a Windows system image that was created from a drive initialized as MBR, whereas the hard drive to which you are trying to restore it is initialized GPT.

Solution: Delete all partitions from the target drive, re-initialize it MBR, restore the image. Reverse MBR/EFI as your error message dictates; my customer's image was created from a drive initialized MBR.

When Windows update repeatedly failed and MS support was unable to fix the problem, my customer re-installed Windows from the installation media provided by the manufacturer. In doing so, he initialized the drive GPT, whereas before the system image was created, it had been using MBR. Hence the problem.

I never use Windows anything to back up anything important. Back in the day, the first time I ever tried using the built in backup from Windows to back up a system before wiping it down was in Windows XP. I did the backup to an external drive, wiped the computer, reinstalled Windows and drivers, did all the update to where there was nothing left to do but restore the backup. I immediately got some error about not being able to restore a backup created with a different version of the program. I think I ended up wiping it down again, installing all the drivers, restoring the backup AND THEN updating. Lesson learned.

I never use Windows anything to back up anything important.
Me neither. This thing was a nightmare; I had to try a variety of recovery/install discs before finding a happy match that allowed the restore. Plus, the BIOS had to be set to Secure Boot disabled, and UEFI/Legacy priority set to UEFI, CMS enabled of course, otherwise the recovery disc couldn't see the external hard drive containing the backup. That and the USB DVD-RW stopping part way through loading the recovery ISO. The same ISO copied to my Zalman loaded lickety split. And, he originally phoned me 8:15 AM and said he needed it for a conference call next morning, same time. (He owns a consulting business.) Microsoft's bizarre error messages didn't help. Man, I'm glad that's over!

Last edited:
Me neither. This thing was a nightmare; I had to try a variety of recovery/install discs before finding a happy match that allowed the restore. Plus, the BIOS had to be set to Safe Boot disabled, and UEFI/Legacy priority set to UEFI, CMS enabled of course, otherwise the recovery disc couldn't see the external hard drive containing the backup. That and the USB DVD-RW stopping part way through loading the recovery ISO. The same ISO copied to my Zalman loaded lickety split. And, he originally phoned me 8:15 AM and said he needed it for a conference call next morning, same time. (He owns a consulting business.) Microsoft's bizarre error messages didn't help. Man, I'm glad that's over!
Lol, I just imagined you dressed all in black, sitting at a computer in the dark with a flashlight in your mouth, the Mission Impossible music playing in the background as you try to crack the combination to get the damned backup opened.

I just restored a Windows system image created using Windows backup, after finally figuring out what the following error message really means, so I thought I'd share the solution.

This message really means, you are trying to restore a Windows system image that was created from a drive initialized as MBR, whereas the hard drive to which you are trying to restore it is initialized GPT.

Solution: Delete all partitions from the target drive, re-initialize it MBR, restore the image. Reverse MBR/EFI as your error message dictates; my customer's image was created from a drive initialized MBR.

When Windows update repeatedly failed and MS support was unable to fix the problem, my customer re-installed Windows from the installation media provided by the manufacturer. In doing so, he initialized the drive GPT, whereas before the system image was created, it had been using MBR. Hence the problem.

I realize this is an older post, but I am encountering this for the first time. I have tried to reset my bios to no avail. I do not know how to do the described repair you have listed. Any chance you could elaborate for an old fart novice like me?

I realize this is an older post, but I am encountering this for the first time. I have tried to reset my bios to no avail. I do not know how to do the described repair you have listed. Any chance you could elaborate for an old fart novice like me?
Thanks for your interest in the forums. But this is a place for computer business owners and professionals.

From the forum rules when you signed up...

No End Users
These forums are for either current computer technicians, or computer repit business owners. We do not provide computer help to any non-technicians.

Don't you know that many people just ignore this and find the "OK" or whatever the continue button is?

A true professional in our business is going to read and follow the directions before they commit to joining our group.

It call it skimming vs reading. Kind of like hearing vs listening. If they hit the TN landing page it's obvious this site is about running an IT service business. I'm sure the problem is that they are googling <insert their problem> and it gives direct links to hits that are public. They click on one, which takes them to the public thread, then Join which takes them to the account creation page.

Yes, but even Macrium, Aomei and others won't change a MBR drive to a GPT drive when doing an image restore. It's not a just Windows Backup/Restore limitation.

hahaha Larry, what's funny about this, is that saphire scales just posted about microsoft sending forced firmware updates out now in the sub forum above this one.... re: Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware. The image was created on a computer using BIOS and this one is using EFI.

Back