windows 7 hanging

4ycr

Reaction score
I have a computer in that hangs the the black screen with the pointer showing.

Safe mode works and last know good configuration allows it to boot.
it does not hang all the time only sometimes and once it hangs it will not boot again until I either use LKGC or system restore.

I have used system restore to get ti back to an earlier state.

Windows is up to date and I have updated all the drivers and even restored drivers back to their original state.
I have removed practically all of the item in msconfig under non windows services and start up items.

Error logs are not consistent except the below warning
Code:
the winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> was unable to handle a notification event

I have ran a virus scan and while it found some things (no viruses or Trajans) it still fails to boot.

I am about to suggest a reload of windows but really don't want to do that, so any other suggestions?

Okay...my universal suggestion is to start with a full sector-by-sector clone of the drive. If the drive has sector issues, you will know it through the clone process and you will get a solid backup of the drive before you accidentally lose all their data in an effort to troubleshoot the cause.

Getting a disc image is always a good idea.

Nab a copy of Crystal Disk Info and use it to take a look at the SMART info. If you're starting to pile up reallocated sectors, sectors pending reallocation or crc errors, that would explain the behavior. Then you really want to get the data off the drive and RMA it or wipe it and use it as a paperweight.

You don't clone a drive just because you got a black screen with a pointer and just because you might pull a bad sector on a clone doesnt mean thats the reason this drive is pulling a black screen.

If you pull the drive, clone it, see a bad sector, replace the drive and still have the black screen you are right back to where you started AND you have already cost the customer at least $150 or so.

In this situation I would check the system and application logs for errors and make a judgement, run a chkdsk and/or manufacturers check plus SMART, listen to the drive during operation, etc . If that all looks ok I would continue with other diags, not just clone the drive right away.

What would an onsite tech do in this situation, pull the drive and clone it onsite or bring it back to the shop ? Is that the new "repair" for a black screen with pointer ? :rolleyes:

Onsite or on the bench, first thing I do is to take a look at the SMART attributes and as you say, listen to the drive during operation. If reallocated sectors are high or it has sectors pending, etc., then I'm not going to attempt to fix the OS till it's cloned to a good drive. If I see CRC errors and all else looks and sounds good, swap out the SATA cable and proceed with repairs. In my opinion, a valid backup is an asset to the customer in any case. If they already have a recent validated backup, you're good to go.

If reallocated sectors are high or it has sectors pending, etc., then I'm not going to attempt to fix the OS till it's cloned to a good drive.

Yes, no question about it. If you see something that shows you its going bad you react to it.

Never run chkdsk on a drive that isn't backed up...just did a partial recovery because the client ran chkdsk first. I cannot undo what they did.

The only thing of value to the client on the computer is their data. If you don't take the necessary steps to protect their data (ie, clone or backup), you are assuming the risks of being sued when your actions lose their data.

When on site, you do have yourself in a catch 22. Do you assume that the hardware is healthy and risk losing the client's data or do you risk wasting some time backing up their drive?

At the very least, a few questions will help you decide the best course of action.

1. Is your data backed up?
2. Do you want me to verify the backup before we proceed, just in case the system crashes while we are working on it?
3. Do you want me to backup & test your drive to play it safe?
4. Do you understand that if we don't backup/test the drive and the drive is failing, all could be lost?

The majority of time, cutting corners saves a lot of time and money. But it only takes one exception to completely lose the savings.

Sorry I forgot to add a few things to my first port was in a rush to get out the door.

I done SFC and it found nothing wrong
tested the hard drive sector test and SMART, all is fine
I mentioned I had done a virus scan and while it found some tracking stuff and a toolbar it did not find any viruses.

I ran chkdsk and it was fine with no errors

If you can get a clean normal boot, make a new user with admin rights, then boot again and try to login with that user several times. See if the blackscreen/cursor happens in that users environment at all.

Last edited:
Good advice from lcoughey in this thread. With proper hardware cloning a drive is easy and doesn't take all that long. My first step in every situation like this now--anytime I have any doubt about the health of a drive--is to remove it and clone it first. That way, I've got a safety net in case things head south quickly (which they often do). Plus, it's easy to pop the replacement drive in the system to see if symptoms persist under that configuration.

With a DDI in my possession, I know that if it reaches an uncorrectable sector which it cannot read, the drive is on its way out. At that point I replace the drive and most often the issue is solved.

If not, it's taken me all of 15 minutes of actual work to perform the image and simultaneously diagnose the drive/construct said safety net. I find it greatly reassuring and it's only made me that much more effective of a tech.

Last edited:
This is the basic problem faced by window user and as far from my knowledge this happens because of the lot software installed in your pc and various files which are misbehaving. Their may be other issues such as virus confined to your mini pc and to clean up all these issues, you must clean your pc with unwanted files such as temporary and cache and above all these, you must clean your pc recycle bin frequently.

This is the basic problem faced by window user and as far from my knowledge this happens because of the lot software installed in your pc and various files which are misbehaving. Their may be other issues such as virus confined to your mini pc and to clean up all these issues, you must clean your pc with unwanted files such as temporary and cache and above all these, you must clean your pc recycle bin frequently.

@Kraken

you could try clearing all queued Windows updates, and at least a fresh retry on the hope that perhaps a stray bit or glitched data store was flopped/botched, which, once applied, caused some sort of failure as now experienced....

There could be any number of incompatibility issues just now manifesting themselves with a recent update, etc....

Redownloading last updates (for post restore point) will at least eliminate a 'onetime glitched update' possibility....

Back