Win7 networking - Vista & XP gain access to locked files!

Reaction score
I am trying to set up a home network within Windows 7 (RC 7100 x86) so it can communicate with two other machines, one has installed XP, the other Vista.

I have set up home networks in the past no problem (not on 7) & whilst I can get all 3 PC's talking to one another it appears that XP & Vista can not only see my shared documents but also my user documents, more worrying is that both other machines can edit or change any of my user documents!

I would prefer none of the other PC's connected to the network to see my documents let alone gain access to them & whilst this folder is supposedly locked it isn't!

I would be greatful for any help, thanks.

Images for reference of my PC:

locked.png

network.png

If you're really worried about security it's common sense not to use Beta software, I'm glad to hear this is not for a paying customer.

As it's a beta release you really should be addressing the issues towards Microsoft's development team, hopefully that'll mean the rest of us will get a product that's fit for purpose when it's released to market later this year.

I am aware that this is a Beta product. This is for my own learning benefit (All machines previously mentioned are my test machines) & also others may come across this problem. We all need to learn any new additions to Windows 7 don't we. :)

I will be pointing it towards Microsoft but wanted to know if anyone else had suffered from this & found a way to correct it?

I am aware that this is a Beta product. This is for my own learning benefit (All machines previously mentioned are my test machines) & also others may come across this problem. We all need to learn any new additions to Windows 7 don't we. :)

I will be pointing it towards Microsoft but wanted to know if anyone else had suffered from this & found a way to correct it?
It sound like you've set it up as a HomeGroup which is a simplified form of networking that uses a global password. It's a new feature introduced into Windows 7 to simplify file sharing for domestic networks.

TBH, I'm not that familiar with Windows 7 yet, I'm waiting until it nears final release before I get to involved with features that may or may not make it into the final release, but I would have thought there would be a mechanism to reconfigure it as a traditional peer-to-peer network.

A homegroup is for Windows 7 only. XP nor Vista can benefit from this (at the present time).
If what you've identified is correct, then it looks like XP & Vista DO benefit from this, albeit unintentionally.

As I say, you'd be better off looking for answers on Windows 7 beta specific forums as most of us here will only deal with final release products as we deal with paying customers.

as we deal with paying customers.

As do I.

I had hoped that I could discuss this problem with fellow like minded professionals so we could help one another, as I know I am not the only one within this forum learning as much as possible with this RC before RTM to benefit our business's.

I will refer this problem to Microsoft Dev instead.

Back