Win 10 WDF BSOD [HP & Dell Only]

frase

Reaction score
I ran into an issue with Win10 and Hp system - turns out only HP systems had been affected. Issue was on boot would error WDF Violation.

"The cumulative updates KB4464330 (for Windows 10 V1809) and KB4462919 (for Windows 10 V1803) for October 2018 cause certain machines, previously from HP and Dell, to throw a ‘WDF Violation’ BlueScreen."

Works out it is caused by the update push of the Keyboard Driver. I booted up using a PE disk [use whatever you like] so I could access system files.

Access CMD and entered -

For 32-bit versions of Windows:

dism /Image:C\ /Remove-Driver /Driver: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hpqkbfiltr.inf_x86_f1527018cecbb8c2\HpqKbFiltr.inf

For 64-bit versions of Windows:

dism /Image:C:\ /Remove-Driver /Driver:c:\Windows\System32\driverstore\FileRepository\hpqkbfiltr.inf_amd64_714aca0508a80e9a\HpqKbFiltr.inf

Can also boot into CMD Prompt and REN the file HpqKbFiltr.sys to HpqKbFiltr.sys.old (for example)
File is located in "C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\"
Then reboot.

Rebooted and issue gone - saved a N&P

Last edited:
Unfortunately this isn't the first time I've seen issues with new HP machines. Delivered four of them earlier this year and all four customers experienced BSOD fairly quickly.

Turned out it was due to some HP bloatware on the machines.

Back