When will W7 SP1 be required to receive new Windows Updates?

hoosier13

Reaction score
Does anybody know when Windows 7 Service Pack 1 will be required in order to get new Windows Updates or if this is already the case?

Thanks!

Seeing as how XP SP2 can still do updates I kinda doubt Win 7 SP1 will ever be required for updates unless Microsoft does it in the name of security.

I was gonna say. If someone today used a recovery partition and restored themselves back to XP SP0, they'd get updates in order to bring them current. I don't see why the same wouldn't be true with Win7 or any version of Windows to come.

Windows update is unavailable and disabled if you don't have your copy of Windows Registered (and registered properly).

Also, copies of windows that were reportedly "pirated copies" that had a serial number that was massively over-used and/or copies that did not need a serial when installed... Will not allow windows updates because it is not registered correctly.

But what does "using a pirated key" have to do with not getting updates? Nobody has any pity for pirates that can't get updates - we're talking about real customers with legitimate installs here.

But what does "using a pirated key" have to do with not getting updates? Nobody has any pity for pirates that can't get updates - we're talking about real customers with legitimate installs here.

Just stating that it's an option that could be keeping the system from windows update.

Yes, I am referring to a legitimate install of Windows 7.

Actually, I was under the impression that Windows XP SP3 was required in order to receive the latest updates. I thought that's what "support retired" meant on this page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lifecycle#section_3

Granted, a computer with Windows XP SP0 will prompt the user to automatically install a service pack when Windows update is run, but if the user declines the service pack will they still get the latest security updates from Microsoft?

Thank you!

Yes, I am referring to a legitimate install of Windows 7.

Actually, I was under the impression that Windows XP SP3 was required in order to receive the latest updates. I thought that's what "support retired" meant on this page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lifecycle#section_3

Granted, a computer with Windows XP SP0 will prompt the user to automatically install a service pack when Windows update is run, but if the user declines the service pack will they still get the latest security updates from Microsoft?

Thank you!

No, support retired means that they won't make new ones.

You can still patch previous versions.

As far as I know about Win7 updates. 2 methods WSUS and Microsoft updates.
If you installed Win7 (even fresh, downloadable copy from MS) -it gives you opportunity to use it for 120 days (rearm option), all updates will be pulled down automatically from MS. I remember like 3PM by default everyday. WSUS is mostly (free and cheap) for Small Businesses- over 100 Desktops. Top of the line SCCM - can do updates in the Huge Corp Environment.

Back