[REQUEST] Whats a good video conferencing software?

HankArnold

Reaction score
The Hospice I support will be enlarging the throughput arly next year. One of the things that management has requested (for years now( is video conferencing.

We are a Windows shop. All of our users are running on Citrix servers. We do have a local domain running Server 2012 R2. All users are currently on W7.

I'm interested in information and suggestions on what is the best software for this environment. They will be wanting to connect, on occasion, multiple locations.

This will probably not involve Skype since they don't want to use teh built-in cameras. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The Hospice I support will be enlarging the throughput arly next year. One of the things that management has requested (for years now( is video conferencing.

We are a Windows shop. All of our users are running on Citrix servers. We do have a local domain running Server 2012 R2. All users are currently on W7.

I'm interested in information and suggestions on what is the best software for this environment. They will be wanting to connect, on occasion, multiple locations.

This will probably not involve Skype since they don't want to use teh built-in cameras. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

After you mentioned that "They do not want to use the built-in cameras" I thought to myself, Just pick up a phone :)

So, Look into the software called Ring. See if that is what you are looking for maybe?

https://ring.cx/

We're G Suite at my work, so we use hangouts. I have a Logitech c920 and a Jabra Speak 510 hooked up to a laptop in the board room (and a projector), the owners love it. Admin assistant sends out the video link through Google Calendar. It's nice not to have to pay extra for video conferencing. However, I don't think it makes sense if not planning to switch to Google for email.

Can I ask what this means? That they don't want tu se the built-in cameras? How would they want "video" software then? Without cameras?
Skype or Skype for Biz. My hospice client loves Skype for Biz that comes with their O365 E3

Zoom.us is what we're seeing everyone move to. We use it at RepairShopr for everything, simple, solid, works everywhere. They have a solution for people that want to spend a tiny bit more money:

https://zoom.us/roomconnector

I've put windows computers with webcam/mic in conference rooms for some friends, works great imo

I telecomute to my software engineering job.... they are G suite shop (using google mail, hangouts, google drive... they use the buz apps line)
and I HATE IT. Google hangouts has been awful for us. Video quality, audio quality.... it's all crap and it's gotten worse over time. It wasn't so bad when I first started, but now it's terrible. You can only have a limited number of people in one call...

Often times it won't "ding" me when someone sends me a message. Someone will send me a video chat request and I'll miss it because the alert sound doesn't play. Sometimes I'll get a "ding" even when no one messages me. Hangouts on my android phone will ring the full amount of time even after I answer the call on my computer....

We've been looking for alternatives, and we have been using Zoom. So far Zoom as worked very well.

We used skype in the past, not a fan of skype. We ran a combo of skype and team viewer for a while. Zoom seems to be a very good quality replacement.

Back