What do I need to know?

ell

Reaction score
Hi! I got my first call for a repair on a dead dell server. The guy apparently loaded it in his car and moved here and now it won't power up. I have yet to work on a server and I told him so, I felt bad cuz he sounded pretty desperate, but I'm not going to learn on some ones system, let alone a business. Anyways, I'm just thinking what do I need to know to get into this line of work? I doubt he had any raid array or anything, but just curious what the major diff's are or is it pretty much the same type of testing as pc hardware.

This isn't much help but bear in mind that what some people call a server might just be a regular system that shared files. There might be no need to fret.

yeah, I probably shouldn't have been scared off by the word server, should have asked more questions I guess, just would hate to get in over my head. Just wondering if there are any major things to know.

Well, if it won't even power up, then it might be the PSU or a loose connection or something. Not saying it is, but it's just a quick guess...?

In any case, I wouldn't worry about it. It's a computer. They all share most things in common. :)

In any case, I wouldn't worry about it. It's a computer. They all share most things in common. :)

Particularly since this is a problem that is clearly NOT software.

Given the fact that it won't power up right after he "loaded it in his car and moved here", it would seem that the most likely culprit would be a loose connection or the switch on the PSU. Check the switch and reseat everything and it'll probably fire right up.

I would not be afraid too much...

Really once you get beyond the first or second rack server - you won't be too nervous.

Consider that some people definitely use the word server when it does not look like a server anyway.

If you don't feel secure - offer to look at it and base your course of action based on that and warn the customer about it.

Good luck.

I would offer to take a look at it and see if its something simple, I would also see if he has any backups and offer him to get his data for him in the mean time until you have a resolution or fix for him.

Like the posts above it might just be a loose connection from the move.

I would offer to take a look at it and see if its something simple, I would also see if he has any backups and offer him to get his data for him in the mean time until you have a resolution or fix for him.

Like the posts above it might just be a loose connection from the move.

Thanks everybody for the great answers, I did a little googling and found Dell offers free extended support on their servers, do some brands carry longer than 1 yr warranty on servers?

good link to keep, I always like to advise customers of all their options. thanks!

Your welcome, did you get a chance to take a look at the unit yet to see whats wrong with it?

Your welcome, did you get a chance to take a look at the unit yet to see whats wrong with it?

Actually I gave the job away when he sounded desperate, and he mentioned wanted a Dell certified tech. I was on my way to a job so I couldn't drop everything. I suspected a bad ps too, but I had images of screwing something up, he gave me cold feet. I recommended he call Dell to find one. So say its a software issue, like windows server 03, do all the usual xp tools work on it, chkdsk, fixmbr, etc.?

From past experience depending on where you live getting a certified Dell tech might take up to a week or more before he gets out to your clients server and fixes it.
As for tools most of the cmd's will work yes, but not all software will work due to licensing and sometimes incompatibility.

A server is pretty much the same except for maybe a SCSI or SAS cards and hot swap drives maybe.

All server software is the same as your desktop OS but it has alot more features on it in general. Now there are certain things you don't do because of active directory though. but for the most part its the same.

I'd say, in general, the biggest difference and steepest learning curve will be on the software side of things if it is at least a legitimate small business server (Server OS, Exchange, Active Directory, etc.) In terms of hardware, if it's not a rack server, it will be a supercharged desktop with server-class hardware.

Hi! I got my first call for a repair on a dead dell server. The guy apparently loaded it in his car and moved here and now it won't power up.

In the UK, this is almost always the result of a blown fuse (we've got fuses inside our power plugs here :eek: ), so I would've suggested checking the fuse in the PSU.

I felt bad cuz he sounded pretty desperate, but I'm not going to learn on some ones system, let alone a business. .

We all learn every day. As long as you know your limits, you won't add to the damage. Coming out the same day to do some initial checks is worth money too.

Back