[SOLVED] Weird Asus Glitch

Appletax

Reaction score
Solution: the keyboard is fried - can press any key to make the glitch stop, keep the keyboard disconnected, or replace the keyboard.

-----
Asus Q405UA laptop.

See video:

<Deleted>

Does this with the touchscreen, external mouse, and touchpad. Pressing any key on the keyboard makes it stop. Issue reappears after rebooting.

I replaced the HDD with an SSD (Samsung 870 Evo) and installed a fresh copy of Win 11 direct from Microsoft. The cables going from the top cover (keyboard, touchpad) to the mobo look fine. Was working fine before.

Wiped the screen clean with damp microfiber cloth.

Last edited:
Asus Q405UA laptop.

See video:

Does this with the touchscreen, external mouse, and touchpad. Pressing any key on the keyboard makes it stop.

I replaced the HDD with an SSD and installed a fresh copy of Win 11 direct from Microsoft. The cables going from the top cover (keyboard, touchpad) to the mobo look fine. Was working fine before.

Head over to ASUS support and download either every manufacturer driver that "could" cause this issue... or download every single driver the manufacturer offers and replace them all with manufacturer supplied drivers including BIOS updates.

For giggles if it's an easy tear down put the old SSD back in and make sure.

Have I ever mentioned that I hate touchscreen laptops? Maybe I'm biased, but my money's on it being a touchscreen issue.

How does it behave if you use the mouse or trackpad to do the same?

My usual fix is to disable the touchscreen in the Device Manager.

Maybe I'm biased, but my money's on it being a touchscreen issue.

I suspect you are biased, and I hasten to add I share your intense dislike of touchscreen devices other than smartphones/tablets.

On any windows machine where I've had touchscreen issues it's looked like a "small rainstorm" was splashing on the screen with ripples coming out from the "points of (non)contact." I thought that showing points where touch activation had occurred, briefly, was the default, but maybe they've changed that.

But heaven knows that your suggestion, disabling the HID touchscreen, is a quick and easy differential diagnostic.

Head over to ASUS support and download either every manufacturer driver that "could" cause this issue... or download every single driver the manufacturer offers and replace them all with manufacturer supplied drivers including BIOS updates.

For giggles if it's an easy tear down put the old SSD back in and make sure.

Issues occurs after a fresh install of Win 11 and after updating w/ manufacturer driver's and Windows updates.

I could try putting in the old HDD.

Have I ever mentioned that I hate touchscreen laptops? Maybe I'm biased, but my money's on it being a touchscreen issue.

How does it behave if you use the mouse or trackpad to do the same?

My usual fix is to disable the touchscreen in the Device Manager.

Disabling the touchscreen does not help.

Mouse and touchpad have the same issue.

Since this is apparently reproduceable, what action STARTS this problem happening?

Happens right away after rebooting the system. Happens after a fresh installation of Windows 11 and after installing manufacturer drivers.

It wasn't occuring during the installation of Windows 11. I could open a command prompt window and resize it without there being a glitch.

Possible keyboard issue? Particularly as touching a key fixes it temporarily. Worth disconnecting the keyboard and using a usb one to test.

I blasted the keyboard with compressed air and reseated the keyboard ribbon cable. Might try disconnecting it and using an external.

What happens if you boot a live Linux CD?

Works fine - the issue is not present.

Going to install Windows 10 and see if that works normal.

Conflicting inputs from keyboard, touchpad and/or mouse (drivers level).

Leave only one active at a time to find the culprit.

Conflicting inputs from keyboard, touchpad and/or mouse (drivers level).

Leave only one active at a time to find the culprit.

I installed Windows 10 and it was working fine for a bit, but then the glitch came back even worse than in Windows 11.

Disconnected the keyboard's ribbon cable from the mobo and so far so good.

Last edited:
Customer states they are OK with having to press a key to make the glitch stop. If that doesn't work out for them then might replace the part.

They might get a new laptop next year. Told them that next time they get a new laptop to stay away from Asus as they make cool products that are unreliable and have bad customer service and warranties.

Last edited:
in this case, means replacing the entire palm rest assembly.

Which has been typical for years now on most makes. And I can say from my own hard experience with my HP 15 that replacing the entire top assembly is the way to go. It's not that you can't get keyboards alone, but on most machines they're "welded" to the top assembly at multiple points via heat "mushroom riveting" of plastic posts. It's a grand PITA to file all those off, then try to replace them with epoxy dots afterward.

Depending on the age of the laptop, the top assemblies do drop in price quite a bit after somewhere in the 3 years old and older range. When the device with failure is younger than that, expect obscene prices.

Back