Weak Wifi Connection now (was fine before)

Bryce W

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ive had a wireless AP in my house for about a year now and its had no problems until recently. It sits in a location that is pretty central of my house and there are no metal walls/doors/objects to block the signal, and I could get a good connection from every room in my house.

Now just recently I get a really really bad connection from most rooms in my house. I suspected someone has popped up their own AP nearby and im getting interference so I opened up NetStumbler and got nothing (not even an AP that isnt broadcasting its name which hides it from Windows Wireless config but not from netstumbler).

I thought since I couldnt detect it doesnt necessarily mean its not there so I changed my wireless channel from 2 up to 10, still no improvement. I checked all the settings in my AP itself, checked the signal strength, the intervals it broadcasts etc.. and everything was as it should be. There are no new items or changes to my house that could be blocking my signal either.

Anyone got any ideas what this could be?

If you are using Wireless Zero Configuration Service you could try disabling it and using the software that came with you wireless network adapter.

I have heard that this service can cause problems with wireless connections.

Also How are you connecting to the ap, from what a laptop or pc? What adapter are you using?

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
My laptops wireless is part of it being a Centrino so it uses WZC by default.

Anyway, Ive since solved this. When I started playing with Ubuntu I wanted to get my wireless working again but I couldnt remember any passwords so I did a factory reset of it, upgraded the firmware while I was at it and shuffled its location slightly

Not sure what was originally the problem and what fixed it. But it works now so Im happy.

Back