Vista Disks

WareDat

Reaction score
Got a question for everyone, I haven't had to do a reformat of a Vista computer yet, but I'm sure that day is coming soon.

So... A Vista Ultimate 32 dvd will install all 32 bit versions of Vista, as will the Ultimate 64 dvd install all 64 bit versions. But will the retail disk install an oem version with the correct key or will an unbranded oem version install as retail with the correct key? Or do you need to have a retail and unbranded oem versions like you do with XP.

Thanks
Chris

As far as I can tell, and from experience, YES. They will work both ways. However, not being an Ultimate disk, I have had to call and register a few times in the past. This is easy, and voice activated... it will give you the number if your need to do so.

Ok thanks, I already have a 32 bit retail, and 64 bit oem disks...so I should be ok if I have to do a Vista format and install.

IIRC, MS did away with the whole one key-set for OEM and another for Retail in Vista.

If you've got Vista Ultimate 32bit, then you can install ANY 32bit version of Vista provided you use its 32bit key.
The same goes for 64bit.

If the key is tied to Vista Home Premium and you use the Ultimate disc, you end up with only the VHP features...
If the key is tied to Vista Ultimate and you use the VHP disc, well, I don't think it'll work.
I'm pretty sure only the Ultimate disc allows the installation of all versions, not the other way around...<undecided.gif>

FYI:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/quick-start/activation-faq.aspx

Last edited:
Back