Vista Defrag not responding

ell

Reaction score
Hi, I just cleaned up a windows vista business machine that had few minor infections, he also complained about defrag not working, everything looks fine, short cut is there and so is dfrgui.exe I can run it with cmd but no other way, anybody run across this? I don't want to do a repair install, also did sfc and chkdsk.

Cant you just put in a 3rd party defrag, there are several good ones out there.

Did you try to make a shortcut on the desktop directly from the exe file ?

Cant you just put in a 3rd party defrag, there are several good ones out there.

Did you try to make a shortcut on the desktop directly from the exe file ?

I would try to fix it before going with third party app, but like he said did you create new shortcuts? Can you replace the exe file from a known good working installation? To be honest I find that sfc hardly every works, maybe 1 out of every 10 times I run it.

I guess it could possibly be a registry entry?

I would try to fix it before going with third party app, but like he said did you create new shortcuts? Can you replace the exe file from a known good working installation? To be honest I find that sfc hardly every works, maybe 1 out of every 10 times I run it.

I guess it could possibly be a registry entry?

I did try to run dfrgui.exe directly from the system32 folder and I copied another from my pc and tried to run it from my flash drive, same, no response, weird, ran a few D7 tools, repaired permissions, malware scan, tss, combofix. I thought about just replacing the shortcut with one to defraggler but that would be too easy, would like to figure it out.

Try running it a couple times and then check the event logs for any application or system warnings.

Have you tried doing a surface scan? Possibly a data on a bad sector or black it is trying to read and it can't. Just a thought.

Try running it a couple times and then check the event logs for any application or system warnings.

yeah, I scoured the logs, nothing I could determine related, but I always have a hard time understanding them.

Have you tried doing a surface scan? Possibly a data on a bad sector or black it is trying to read and it can't. Just a thought.

yes, I ran full hardware scans prior to virus removals, I finally just threw in the towel and installed defraggler and replaced the shortcut, I suppose a upgrade install would have fixed it, but I'm not all that trusting in doing those. I googled it to death and found the issue quite a lot but no solutions aside from system restore but he made it sound like hes had the problem for a long time so I wouldn't know how far back to go.

Last edited:
Have you tried checking the task scheduler service under computer management? The service may have been tampered with by the infections you found.

Have you tried checking the task scheduler service under computer management? The service may have been tampered with by the infections you found.

yes it was, unfortunately I was unable to find a way to fix it.

Back