USG Pro 4G LTE Failover Advice Request

purdybread

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been asked to setup 4G / LTE failover on WAN2 port of a USG Pro. This isn’t something I have setup before on a USG. Their current fibre connection is reliable, so this is just for failover, no load balancing required.

Upon doing some research online tonight forums seem to be full of stories of people having problems getting this setup correctly. The UBNT forum has posts from a few months ago suggesting that it just doesn’t work and / or has bugs.

I'd like to hear technibble users experiences setting this up. Did it work for you? If not, what was the problems you encountered.

Also any good 4G/LTE modem recommendations would be really appreciated

Thanks

I did it once on a Pro. In the early years of Unifi you'll see it had to be done manually...about a year and a half ago..maybe more..the feature was brought into the GUI.
We generally just use the Unifi gateways in simple networks...anything requiring dual WAN and multiple public IPs 'n complex stuff like that..we use Untangle..which is very..very good at multi WAN. But in the one case I did it, I used a Cradlepoint gateway on WAN2...and it was one of the models that could be "bridged" and pass the public IP (as many of them just do NAT themselves).

What I do remember...it worked...but was a bit slow, and had difficulty recognizing when WAN1 was back online..having to be bounced to go back to WAN1.

At this client I had no port forwarding...I have read that the port forwarding doesn't follow. Not sure if that got addressed much. As much as I love Ubiquiti and use their products heavily, as far as their gateways..we only put use them in simple networks.

I know with the edge router when you setup a dual wan as a failover it simply pings ubnt.com I believe and if the ping fails on the main trunk it fails over to wan2.

Should be the same on the USG

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Back