Unusual Windows Update Failure

Try this..........disregard the error code....what we are trying to do is delete old data, then proceed with new data.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-error-80070002#1TC=windows-7

After doing the above, use system restore to go back to a good point in time.

Repeat above.

Search for new updates and install them one at a time, researching any error codes and correcting before moving on to the next one. Don't forget to re-start when asked to.

Can be a real PITA, but I have been successful using this method.

Windows Updates.........huh, who needs 'em.....LOL

P.S. you do have an image in case of major screw-ups, don't you. Nothing like being able to go back to square one when needed most.

Harold
Unfortunately, the client has been trying to fix this issue himself since June, so system restore isn't an option this time, but I will remember it for future WU issues :eek:)

I am going to ask again.

Have you tried to block the one bad update? Will the updates install with that one blocked.

WHICH UPDATE IS IT!?!

What of the weird NOT For your OS error? Is it the wrong update(example an update for Xp that is trying to install on Win7) or is the error incorrect? (It is the correct patch for the flavor of your OS but you get this weird error anyway.)

IMO this is NOT a Windows UPdate problem. It is a problem with the single lone update that will not install. You need to figure out why it is not working and quit trying to fix what isn't broken because I bet if you take out this bad one all of your other updates will install properly.
I currently don't have the laptop; the client needed it back. I will be scheduling a follow up with him later this week. According to Microsoft, the update I referenced in my previous post is indeed recommended for the operating system. FYI, while I had the laptop I tried installing 5 different updates, only 1 at a time, failure occurred every single time. IMO, it's not a specific update that triggers the unique error code, it's just the luck of the draw of which one attempts to install first. Thanks for your feedback and help.

I've found offline WSUS does a great job at performing updates when WU and all the standard fixes fail, after which a ton of other outstanding updates will install. I guess its audit function that can be credited for that. Have a go with offline WSUS.

Hi everyone! I finally got this problem resolved today:) I wanted to let everyone know the solution. Actually it was a combination of feedback from several folks. I ran the System Update Readiness Tool, and reset Windows Update. I was able to install a few updates, but the majority still failed. I started researching the error codes for each update failure, and determined that two different updates (one important, one recommended) were the culprits. I hid them both, and all the other updates installed with no problems:D Now if MS could make decent updates to begin with, this type nightmare could be avoided. I won't hold my breath though.

Hi everyone! I finally got this problem resolved today:) I wanted to let everyone know the solution. Actually it was a combination of feedback from several folks. I ran the System Update Readiness Tool, and reset Windows Update. I was able to install a few updates, but the majority still failed. I started researching the error codes for each update failure, and determined that two different updates (one important, one recommended) were the culprits. I hid them both, and all the other updates installed with no problems:D Now if MS could make decent updates to begin with, this type nightmare could be avoided. I won't hold my breath though.

Cool. Glad you got it sorted :)

Yeah, I've lost count how many systems I've had with WU issues, many of which were virgin systems with Windows freshly installed. It's understandable that issues will arise due to conflicts with third party software, but when WU manages to FU all on its own, that's pretty inexcusable IMO.

So what of the updates you have declined? How critical are they? Why do they not install?
The optional update has hosed up many PCs, and the documentation on it's benefits is the generic "it's good for your OS". The important update was more unique. I couldn't find any documentation on issues with it, and the client didn't want to pursue things further. They were happy that Windows Update was working again.

Back