transferring data from PC to Mac

ifelloutofatree

Reaction score
I know diddly squat about macs never even formatted one - but have been asked to transfer all clients Windows PC XP Pro data onto a new Apple Mac Desktop. Now I assume it will have its own applications installed that are similar to Microsoft Office, MYOB etc. But can data be transferred from PC to MAC. can't imagine life would be that easy! Most likely they will have to purchase new software. I want them to know what snags they will run into before they shell out such big bucks for new Apple. I'm sure MAC wont be using NTFS so hooking up the old hard drive will be just my little fantasy.

Can anyone offer any heads up pointers about transferring data from PC's to MACs - what is do-able and what is not.

Macs can read NTFS with no problems at all. As for the data, that depends on what they're transferring. More than likely, there's an app on Mac that will open most of their files.

Not sure about OS X and BSD, but I know linux can read just about anything, and it's related to BSD which is what OS X is built on. I would be more worried about file format compatibility. Another reason for open format data files. ;) I would think that the popular ones like office docs and pictures, all the normal day-to-day files, should have some equivalent on the mac.

An increasingly popular option is to install VMWare Fusion (or Parallels) and then P2V the old machine. The old Windows install can then be run side-by-side while the client transitions to native apps.

Thanks for everyone's input, The client was fully apprised of my unfamiliarity with Mac's - but as I've done a bit of work for them on a few occasions, they want me regardless. I've discussed some of the options mentioned by you and the client is keen to go ahead. They asked if I would accompany them to scope out an iMAC, unusual request but I agreed, so while I'm there I'll back up the old system data in the first instance. Should be a really enjoyable day, getting paid for going shopping for computers. Every woman's dream come true. Looks like I'll be learning about MAC's anyway.

I keep getting asked about things I've never done before. Had a client today wanting me to research and organise website build, hosting, ecommerce, and streaming skype conferencing elements on their as yet not built site! I'm so glad I studied networking......

Exciting stuff, being part of someone's business vision for themselves.
Thanks again for everyone's help;)

client bought imac 20" along with microsoft office for mac, mobile me and a few other applications and iphone. All went very smoothly. I can see why MAC lovers are so impressed, I certainly was.

client bought imac 20" along with microsoft office for mac, mobile me and a few other applications and iphone. All went very smoothly. I can see why MAC lovers are so impressed, I certainly was.

I just moved an old couple to a Mac. They are afraid of it though. Then don't understand (though I keep telling them) that they really are hard to break. I am sure that once they get used to it, they'll be fine.

Like ifelloutofatree, they were quite impressed with how simple and streamlined everything is. Sadly, I kinda just lost a client... Now they'll never have to call. ;)

Back