Toshiba Satellite P55W-B5224 - Replacing the Screen

britechguy

Reaction score
A friend and client has a Toshiba Satellite P55W-B5224 with a display that looks like this:

Toshiba Satellite P55W-B5224_Screen.jpg

He says that the digitizer is working fine (not in those words, but I asked him if all the touch things he typically does are still reacting normally, and they are). I have asked whether a drop or strike has occurred, which he denies (and he's not inclined to cover up anything). He says, "It started small and has been spreading for a while the vertical black line is new."

This model is still produced and I can't see getting a new computer if this can be repaired for far less than the $800 plus current price on Amazon. The whole top unit is around $225, and I'm thinking that's the way to go, but it may make sense to try to change out only the screen if this is one of those units where the digitizer and the screen are "easily separated." I figure someone here has likely worked on this precise model or one of its sister convertible machines and have a better idea of exactly how this can/should be approached.

I agree that it looks straightforward enough, but in this specific case I think it's the LCD, not the digitizer, that's going wonky.

But that video does clearly demonstrate that there's no difficulty in lifting off the digitizer as a whole unit, and from what I can see the LCD is just mounted directly behind it.

Now to see if the LCD itself is available. The entire top unit is somewhat scarce, but there are some still out there. But I don't believe in replacing parts that don't need to be replaced. Waste not, want not.

Seems you will be better off with the full assembly.
Completely agree. Doubt you'd save much money on finding just the screen and the additional labor could easily eat up those savings. Also the clips on the bezel/back on most modern laptops are not really meant to be "opened" and then "closed". They could be easily damaged then you're left dealing with that as well.

I was leaning that direction anyway. I'm going to check to see if he thinks just short of $300, including the part, is worth it or not. Different people are more or less attached to a given machine, and what some will dump others will go to great lengths to keep going.

So, does anyone have preferred sources for replacement screens?

I generally just go to Amazon or eBay, but I know there are many others, and know that there are a number of you whose overall volume of screen replacement work far exceeds mine. Never hurts to know about options.

This model is still produced and I can't see getting a new computer if this can be repaired for far less than the $800 plus current price on Amazon.
FYI just because it is on Amazon doesn't mean it is still produced. That laptop is from 2014. You are seeing old stock from Amazon sellers. Toshiba doesn't even make laptops anymore.

Back