The definition of a computer crash

Bryce W

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nearly every single phone call I get from a new client they say that "my computer has crashed!!". I nearly all cases its something like the internet not working or the monitor unplugged.

So, what is the definintion of a computer crash? Personally I consider it as a head crash or similar causing harddrive failure, some people consider it the OS not being able to boot, some people think its a freeze or lockup, some people think its a unexpected shutdown (caused by a BSOD or something).

What is your definition of a crash?

Last edited:
An event that has stopped the normal function of the computer. IE freezing resulting in you reseting or un-explained reset or shutdown

Crash was a boring movie, i wouldnt suggest people watching it :). LOL j/k but crash is nothing like a computer hitting the wall or something crashing on its case hard its a techincal term for common failures with hdd.Usually you say "oh my god my hdd crashed" And some some also say "omg my pc crashed" which means they are unable to make their pc work. Some say " omg my windows crashed" well crash is just a word depicting failure of some component of a pc. Even if MB burns out its usually "Omg my mb crashed".

I consider a minor crash any of these:
The explorer.exe crashing, pulling most of the stuff along, but letting most of the programs still work.
The usual "... has performed an illop and will be shut down", provided half the system doesn't die - but that's more of an app crash than a system crash.

A major crash is:
A textless BSOD in runtime - usually means the CPU heatsink is getting a bit too warm for its own good. Yes, my system reacts like that for some reason.
A textual BSOD in runtime - generally means something really went dead among the drivers or programs.
A textual BSOD during bootstrapping or shutdown - usually signalling that the kernel's corrupted itself or that the motherboard controller drivers (northbridge and such) went sour.
A system freeze inside an OS - major until I pinpoint what caused it.
Hard-drive head-crash - this one's specific enough, but it's major, considering once that happens, data goes to hell in a handbasket too fast.

"Crash" -- I normally associate that to unexpected program terminations or unexpected computer shut downs -- this includes termination of functionality such that the computer cannot perform operations (such as the case when Windows freezes, etc.).

Oh, I hope none of us experiences a Car Crash.:eek:

Crash, mmm... when my computer doesn't work properly.
When it doesn't boot, when there is a harddisk failure, when I turn on the computer, and the thing doesn't want to start the OS, something like that.
IE freezes computer, but only freezes it.

Back