Streamlining Virus Removal/Tune Up Process

Interesting thread. I normally use system ninja for cleaning, and is especially good as it adds "extras" to ccleaner.

Note make sure that the programs list is showing up off the start button first , as some viruses "move" the listing to a sub directory if the temp folder. Something you don't want to delete.

Also not many references to combofix ?

Regards

I keep D7 and 3rd Party Tools in an archive on my webserver for downloading on client's PCs when working remotely. I also keep D7 in a separate zip without the 3rd Party Tools for a faster download (or transfer via Teamviewer), when the situation doesn't require the other tools immediately, or at all. Even the full archive typically only takes a few minutes to download *shrug* but then again, I'm patient, and frequently getting up for coffee refills. I have had a few people wonder what I'm doing and I merely tell them I need to transfer the appropriate tools to their PC for the job I'm doing.

Frequent offenders of remote support, like our business customers with contracts, get D7 left on their PC in a \Support directory, so next time I connect I can go there and just update it.

To throw in my 2c on defrag, while I agree it is usually pointless, sometimes I do run across a system where the volume is so severely fragmented it does noticeably impact performance. So I always try to check the fragmentation percentage of the drive and if severe, (or I just have extra time with the PC) I'll go ahead and do it. When working remotely or in a time sensitive situation, if I feel there is a need for it, I will instruct the client on how to do it.

Do you keep it in two separate archives on your server? Does D7 run without the 3rd party utils? Maybe I just didn't play around with it enough.

Back