Some thoughts on AT&T and the iPhone

Doctor Micro

Reaction score
I've been an AT&T customer for years. Started back when I was in the Navy and on dial-up and a 386. I needed a provider that I could find local numbers for just about anywhere in the country I might find myself, and after seeing and trying AOL, AOL was definitely on my "never do this again" list. Tried MSN and it seemed like it was AOL in MSN clothing. Enter AT&T, and I've been happy with it since. To this day, I maintain my internet account with AT&T and use it on the increasingly rare occasion when I have to troubleshoot a customer's machine that still use dial-up for whatever reason.

When cell phones came out and were reasonably portable and affordable (I skipped the "Bag and Brick" phase), I got one and signed up for AT&T, because they said they could combine my billing into one statement. That turned out not to be true, but the cell phone worked and I was a happy camper.

I've stayed with AT&T since then and have generally been happy with their service. My cell phone needs are pretty basic; I don't really need to surf the internet, play music, watch videos or read my email on a cell phone with its tiny screen. I know others swear by these features; they're just not for me... at least at present, though I reserve the right to change my mind.

Since the iPhone came out, I've been following the hype, the detractors, the evolution of the iPhone to its present iteration. Seems AT&T bit off a bit more than they could chew and greatly under-estimated the volume and the demand on their network. In the meantime, everyone is blaming AT&T for every problem they have with their iPhone, and Apple seems to prefer staying quiet and let AT&T take all the blame.

Now, AT&T is spending billions of dollars to upgrade and expand their cellular network. New towers, new or upgraded switching networks, additional substations. At the same time, rumors abound that Apple will soon be released from their exclusive carrier contract with AT&T and iPhone users all over can barely contain their glee. Sprint and Verizon are reportedly the two additional carriers that will probably add the iPhone to their stable of smart phones.

All of this is a good thing. First, AT&T customers will benefit from the improved and expanded network capabilities. Second, those current iPhone owners who can't wait to jump ship to Verizon or Sprint will do so as soon as their contracts expire or are willing to pay the early termination penalty. Once this happens, the bandwidth demands from iPhone users that are currently being borne by AT&T alone will then be spread out and be shared amongst two or possibly three additional carriers networks. Third, increased competition for iPhone sales and data plans "should" result in better choices and pricing for everybody.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Apples business practices are to say the least shameful.

Their software and sales control are in line with the worst ever in my option.

I don't know AT&T, except that it is one of the biggest companies in the world.
And I think less of them for signing up with Apple.

If MS would do anything like this, they would "be killed".

Apples business practices are to say the least shameful.

Their software and sales control are in line with the worst ever in my option.

I don't know AT&T, except that it is one of the biggest companies in the world.
And I think less of them for signing up with Apple.

If MS would do anything like this, they would "be killed".

Oh, I don't know. I think Microsoft is living in a glass house too and can't afford to be throwing any stones.

Back