Social media integration

Markverhyden

Reaction score
I just finished setting up a customer with a Social Media Integrator, http://socialwifi.com. Thought I'd mention this as many of us don't have to resources to completely manage something like that. Of course they are not free.

Since they are retailer, and moving to a much larger space, I had discussed setting up a guest wifi to tie in social media with the customers social accounts and all the stuff that goes along with that. Not sure how they came about this particular company but I was pretty impressed . They support a large number of vendors. My customer initially ordered a microtik. But they also had bought Google Wifi, which was a waste of money because you can't turn off dhcp unless it's bridged which means you can't mesh. So, after having told them several times before, they finally got a UniFi AC LR. Setup was pretty straight forward. The UniFi did have a shortcoming in that you can't handle Google logins yet. According to the tech I worked with both UniFi and they are working on that.

Last edited:
I may have to look into this I have numerous customers with guest wifi who could really put it to work from a marketing perspective

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

I just finished setting up a customer with a Social Media Integrator, http://socialwifi.com. Thought I'd mention this as many of us don't have to resources to completely manage something like that. Of course they are not free.

Since they are retailer, and moving to a much larger space, I had discussed setting up a guest wifi to tie in social media with the customers social accounts and all the stuff that goes along with that. Not sure how they came about this particular company but I was pretty impressed . They support a large number of vendors. My customer initially ordered a microtik. But they also had bought Google Wifi, which was a waste of money because you can't turn off dhcp unless it's bridged which means you can't mesh. So, after having told them several times before, they finally got a UniFi AC LR. Setup was pretty straight forward. The UniFi did have a shortcoming in that you can't handle Google logins yet. According to the tech I worked with both UniFi and they are working on that.

Thank you, I will look into that

Nothing's ever easy. The day I set it up everything looked fine. Customer contacts me last week, according to SW they are not seeing the connections even though they show up in the customer's CP. The customer had setup the AP using a local controller on his iMac so It's not on all the time.

My understanding with Ubiquiti is that the controller programs the AP but is not needed to maintain functionality unless changes need to be made. But, according to SW, that is not the case. SW does maintain their own cloud controller so I'll be moving them to that to see what happens.

I know the guest control aspect of UniFi does require the controller to be online 24/7. I am not sure how this integrates with the actual UniFi system.

I know the guest control aspect of UniFi does require the controller to be online 24/7. I am not sure how this integrates with the actual UniFi system.

Thanks. My limited experience is that the guest SSID will still hand out an IP and grant internet access. At least that I remember. But, other than the above, the few I have with guest enabled are a basic setup. No gateways, redirect, etc.

Thanks. My limited experience is that the guest SSID will still hand out an IP and grant internet access. At least that I remember. But, other than the above, the few I have with guest enabled are a basic setup. No gateways, redirect, etc.

We have a lot of the captive portals that are just basic password prompts, but I have wanted to experiment with the facebook like page to gain access kind of portals.

Just making a network a guest network without using the portal does NOT require the controller be online, it’s only the ones that actually display a web page on the users device.

If your using Ubuquiti, you know you can use the guest WiFi to have customers login through Facebook? Also has a captive portal as well - so to speak. You can set it to go to a specific website/page after login. This page could be setup as a review/tracking page. This is what I've done for a few of my clients and they love it. Theres a couple of ways to set this up depending upon your clients wants and needs.

Also, you can use Synology as digital signage which can be linked through a website. Simply use Bravia.

Things like this can save your clients a lot of money. Recurring cost versus one time cost. Just another option.

Last edited:
Back