[WARNING] So looks like last nights patch messes up windows shares on win7

evlfred

Reaction score
spent an hour trying to figure out why a customers satellite pc could no longer access the quick books shared folder on the windows 7 pc hosting the file share. After trying everything I could I made a new user account on the serving machine and manually entered the new user account under windows credential manager on the satellite pc and it worked again. After that I had two more business call with the same problem all of the file hosts were running windows 7 and required the same fix. All of them had run windows updates last night including the most recent security roll up. Looks like it disabled automatic authentication with a user account. Just a heads up.

My office has been having issues like this, as well as printers being pushed out via GPO that the Win7 machines will no longer print to. Seems MS is trying hard to kill the last few people running 7.

If the Quickbooks file is in anything other than the Public/Documents folder then Windows Updates has been doing this for a long time. I'd be curious to know where that Quickbooks file was or does every user have an account on the host machine? But, a better question is why is a company's financials being trusted to a Win7 machine? o_O

Last edited:
Thread necro!

@AllanHall Why did you resurrect this?

Also, it's Oct 2021, Windows 7 has no place in any production roll on any network for any purpose other than to act as a honey pot or to do AV research. Turn that old crap off!

Seems MS is trying hard to kill the last few people running 7.

No, they're not, as this implies intent. Anyone who believes an out-of-support version of Windows is going to continue working, with perpetual backward compatibility being a consideration in the current version of Windows, is just at a complete disconnect from realities that existed even before Windows 10.

There is no sane reason for Microsoft to be making any effort whatsoever in regard to Windows 7, and if those still foolish enough to be running it don't recognize that fact, that's not Microsoft's fault. It's willful stupidity.

Back