Since Google Ads Banned All Computer Repair Ads

CompTech

Reaction score
Still trying to come up with better online advertising since Google Ads banned all legitimate computer repair businesses from advertising. Anyone have any luck with something comparable? Google has like 97% of the advertising so it's difficult to get the word out. It seems when the ads worked we were on the first page much more. Any feedback would be appreciated. Want the phone to start ringing again with customers. Thanks!

Well, if what you say is the case, I can't explain why I just received the following at the bottom of my monthly Google Business report:

BT_Google.jpg

I do not currently have any Google advertising active, but it's very clear, from looking at the example search box above the circled example ad, that they're trying to get me to advertise as a computer repair business (which is the class I use for my Google Business page).

@britechguy I get advertisements from Google all the time asking me to advertise with them, giving me free ad credits, etc. They send these out to everyone who has ever advertised with them. Doesn't change the fact that they don't allow computer repair ads. You *might* be able to pull a fast one by not using "computer repair" anywhere in your ad and targeting keyword phrases like "computer repair that I like" or whatever so that you actually come up when someone types in "computer repair," but if you do and they catch you, they'll pull your ad down and issue you a warning. This is from Google's own page:

Third-party consumer technical support​

The following is not allowed:
Not allowed
Technical support by third-party providers for consumer technology products and online services
Examples (non-exhaustive): Technical support for troubleshooting, security, virus removal, internet connectivity, online accounts (for example, password resets or login support), hardware support and repairs, or software installation
Note: We allow advertising for the sale of consumer technology where the landing page might contain navigational features related to technical support.

Anyone have any luck with something comparable?
Yes. Rank organically and in Google Maps. That's really your only option if you want to advertise on Google nowadays. It's not easy to rank either organically or in Maps, but if you put in consistent effort you'll be rewarded.

So, in other words, we have a case where the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing.

I'd also call their advertising about their own advertising options false advertising.

I do rate in Google Maps for my area, though, or at least I did. I seem to slide on then off based on heaven knows what algorithm. Right now I'm at the number 7 position, and heaven only knows why the same business, that's never had a single Google Review, is showing up twice directly ahead of my own entry.

I long ago stopped being concerned exactly where I show up as far as the order goes so long as I do show up on the first page when someone hits the View All button.

It's not etched in stone despite what Google says. For instance I can take one of the banned categories above, virus removal, and specify a location and it'll bring up a ton of options.

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 6.29.10 PM.png

Well, search for "computer repair staunton va" and you'll get the same sort of thing, and the same for the maps results it presents.

I really don't know precisely what it is they think they're blocking, but it sure isn't showing up in Google Search results.

Well, search for "computer repair staunton va" and you'll get the same sort of thing, and the same for the maps results it presents.

I really don't know precisely what it is they think they're blocking, but it sure isn't showing up in Google Search results.
They're never going to let us know the recipe for their secret sauce. But it has to go well beyond key words. One tech I know, data recovery, who uses and relies on Google had a miserable time getting Google to accept his business because he uses Regis Office Space for his locations. I'm sure they have feeds to all 50 states for business registrations just like car dealers and DMV/RMV. Add to that things like Registrar information, length of ownership of a domain. The list goes on. And don't discount the probability that they do what Ripoff Report does and allow organizations to buy their way into favored status.

@Markverhyden Those aren't ads. Google didn't ban computer repair websites from their organic listings, but you can no longer pay for ad space to show up before everyone else on Google like you can with every other type of business (except the ones restricted by Google like prostitution, gambling, etc.). They've lumped computer repair services in with that sort of crap. It's unbelievable. Just ban the tech support scammers from other countries from advertising here in America and they'd eliminate 99% of the problem, but they won't do that. There's no reason why a legit computer repair company from India (or any other country really) should be advertising here and if they are, they're offering remote support services, which SHOULD be banned by Google due to rampant abuse.

If they want to restrict computer repair businesses to advertising locally then that's a perfectly reasonable restriction, but they won't even do that. Or hell, just force all computer repair businesses to undergo manual approval where someone from Google looks it up and makes sure the business is legit and has a storefront. I used to pay THOUSANDS of dollars a month for Adwords. Surely they can afford to pay someone to check out my business and make sure it's real.

and makes sure the business is legit and has a storefront
The first part, yes, the second, no.

Most of the techs in my area who've been in business for a very long time, including myself, work from home. If I'd had a storefront when the pandemic hit I certainly wouldn't still have one. Having a storefront is not the defining feature of legitimacy of any tech support business.

Reactions: GTP
@britechguy Like it or not, many companies require you have a storefront in order to do business with you. It's all about barriers to entry. Scammers would gladly pay the few bucks it costs for a legitimate business license. In some states it's less than $100 to set up a "legit" business. On the other hand, not many scammers are going to rent a storefront for thousands of dollars a month and sign a 5+ year lease just to get approved to scam people on Google. They'll move on to easier targets. The few who are successful enough to do that can easily be weeded out (or just accepted because only 1 in 5,000 ads will be scams vs. 1 in 5).

Like it or not, many companies require you have a storefront in order to do business with you.

Well, I don't like it, but, this is absolutely their choice.

My comment was strictly in regard to if Google were to allow advertising for computer services. Depending on where you live, a very great many well-established tech support businesses are run out of homes and are one man or one woman shows.

Using the presence or absence of a storefront very simply cuts out a very great many perfectly legitimate businesses for no good reason other than Google (or whoever) having an easy-to-use rule-in/rule-out metric to use that has no substantial connection to whether a business is actually a real one or not.

I don't get to make the rules others use. But I do get to comment on their validity and utility, or the lack thereof.

@britechguy Like it or not, many companies require you have a storefront in order to do business with you. It's all about barriers to entry. Scammers would gladly pay the few bucks it costs for a legitimate business license. In some states it's less than $100 to set up a "legit" business. On the other hand, not many scammers are going to rent a storefront for thousands of dollars a month and sign a 5+ year lease just to get approved to scam people on Google. They'll move on to easier targets. The few who are successful enough to do that can easily be weeded out (or just accepted because only 1 in 5,000 ads will be scams vs. 1 in 5).
My .02...
I've worked from a home office since day one. I've never had a business refuse to do business with me because of that.
I've never been told that I'm "not legit" for not having a B & M either.
Maybe the US is different?

I've worked from a home office since day one. I've never had a business refuse to do business with me because of that.
I've never been told that I'm "not legit" for not having a B & M either.
Maybe the US is different?

Not really. My experience is almost precisely the same as yours.

No one has ever questioned my legitimacy because I run a home-based business. I have no need for a storefront based on my business model, which focuses almost exclusively on on-site service. I do take the occasional computer with me to work on, but I can still do that at home, too.

Another of our regulars runs her business out of her home almost literally a stone's throw from me. I've referred Mac work to her, particularly if I'm slammed or a rush is involved, since Macs constitute a tiny part of my business overall but a bigger part of hers. No one I've ever referred has ever batted an eyelash about it, either.

@Barcelona @britechguy Okay I'll give you guys a few examples of businesses I've wanted to do business with who had a storefront as a requirement. There have been many, many businesses I've dealt with that have had this requirement, but since I have a storefront, only a few have stood out to me.

1. Buying wholesale. Some of the distributors I've dealt with have required a storefront if you want to buy from them.

2. A lot of places will only ship to "commercial addresses."

3. When requesting displays and advertising from manufacturers.

4. Becoming an authorized service provider for Apple or other OEMs.

5. The company I do business with where I buy equipment such as mouse traps, entryway rugs, office supplies, etc. I don't want to give out their name since they're local but they required a storefront in order to buy from them.

6. Another company I dealt with wouldn't extend credit to you unless you had a storefront.

Like it or not, many businesses are still stuck in the 1990's and don't want to deal with home-based or online-only businesses.

Like it or not, many businesses are still stuck in the 1990's and don't want to deal with home-based or online-only businesses.

Again, you're responding to yourself.

Neither of us has argued that no businesses exist that will not do business with another that does not have a storefront.

What we have said, and particularly when it comes to small IT service providers, there are tons of legitimate ones that have no storefront. Thus, businesses that use a storefront as a rule-in/rule-out metric of "business legitimacy" are using an invalid measure. And they are. No one as asserted that they are not using it, but that it's laziness to use it as a rule-in/rule-out.

Reactions: GTP
Thus, businesses that use a storefront as a rule-in/rule-out metric of "business legitimacy" are using an invalid measure. And they are.
LOL. Go tell that to Apple, please. I'm sure a personal word from you will knock them right off their high-horse.

Like it or not, having a storefront makes your business much more legitimate in the eyes of other businesses.

I was Able to get google to let me advertise again. First couple times I called they said no. Then I got someone that would work with me. I told them I have 4 stores and spend $3500 a month with you in the past. How am I lumped in with scammers. It was a process but it has been working for a year.

Only issues is I have to leave the ad alone. If I make any changes they will flag it again and I have to call them.

Back