[SOLVED] Server 2008 R2: Installing SP1 issues

Steve202

Reaction score
I'm deploying a couple of virtual servers on an ESX host, but having nothing but issues with them. The issue starts as soon as I try and install SP1. I'm getting various error messages such as ERROR_FILE_CORRUPT(0x80070570) and co_e_server_exec_failure(0x80080005). I've tried deleting the virtual servers and recreating them but still have issues as soon as I try to install SP1. One of the servers keeps trying to do a chkdsk on startup, which is a bit of a concern.

I have found this: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...nguage=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2050372 but the update isn't installed on the VMs.

The ESX host is a brand new Dell E630 server with three physical disks setup in a RAID5 configuration. Checking the iDRAC on the physical disks and I can't see any errors.

The only thing I'm going to do is copy a new iso over tonight in case it's the iso image I'm using.

Any ideas?

Hopefully this will help:

So far just a C drive for the 2k8 host? Just the C drive
You doing thin or thick provisioning? Thick provisioning
You installed the VMWare tools on the guest right away? Yes, as soon as the OS boots up, VMWare tools gets into straight away
What version of ESX? Can't remember off the top of my head, I'll have to check and get back to you.

Assuming you meant "R630" server or T630...haven't heard of an E.

Guess the first things I'd check then...(should have mentioned this in earlier reply)....is that:
*Is the model Dell you have certified for the version of ESX you have installed...and if so....
*Did you download/install the special Dell tweaked version of ESX...if not...try it. (custom drivers under the skin)

You mention of file corruption, and checkdisk...make me think about drive controllers. I know HP and Dell have special versions of VMWare to download and install, they are tweaked and optimized for their hardware..with unique drivers injected.

That second error..the server_exec_failure...never seen that before.

Wonder if a memory test would be a good idea....does this server have Dell memory from the original build? Or does it have memory installed after it was bought..3rd party? If so..was it memory specifically selected for this specific server? Approved memory for it?

You mention of file corruption, and checkdisk...make me think about drive controllers. I know HP and Dell have special versions of VMWare to download and install, they are tweaked and optimized for their hardware..with unique drivers injected.

That second error..the server_exec_failure...never seen that before.

Wonder if a memory test would be a good idea....does this server have Dell memory from the original build? Or does it have memory installed after it was bought..3rd party? If so..was it memory specifically selected for this specific server? Approved memory for it?

I've just checked, it's 5.5 installed and looks like it's a Dell version (I've been using the same disk for a while now). I'll do some digging around and make sure it's compatible.

The memory come with the original build from Dell.

Last edited:
There appears to be a more up to date version of VMware 5.5 A00,Build#2068190 whereas I've got A00, Build# 1331820 installed. I'll try the newer version and see what happens.

Back