Semi-random Win7 Freezes, mostly during gaming... perhaps de-clocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

twistyxo

I bought a custom PC from a trusted guy on an old message board about a year and a half ago. Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge @ 3.4Ghz (Overclocked to 4.6Ghz) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor CPU

Cooler: CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Mobo: ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

On-Board Audio

On-Board LAN

Video Card: MSI N580GTX Lightning GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 Video Card

Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz Memory

Hard Drive: 240GB SATA III 6.0GB/s Internal Solid State Drive

Optical: 24x DVD-RW Burner

Power Supply: 650W 80 Plus ATX Power Supply

Case: LIAN LI Lancool First Knight Series PC-K57W ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

It was serving me just fine for a while, and then about a year ago I started playing Fallout 3 and noticed that my whole system would just freeze mid-game. No BSOD, not ctrl+alt+delete functionality, just a total lock up and I'd have to manually power down. I thought it was a Fallout 3 issue so I applied some freeze fixes to no avail. The freezing would happen anywhere from 5-60 minutes in, but generally at some point within an hour in a given session it was likely to happen. Eventually I abandoned my play through.

Recently I've gotten into CSGO and the same thing happens, at some point the whole PC freezes. This has become annoying because I'm trying to get into competitive play and abandoning matches has a real bad effect on ranking up. Lastly, I tried playing Dota with my friend a few days ago and I froze 30 min in. So it's truly not game specific.

To make matters worse/more complicated, even though it's far more likely to happen in-game, the freezes happen during casual computing, too. In fact, they tend to happen out-of-game after my PC has been on for a long time (maybe 2+ hours), but sometimes during nothing more than Chrome browsing. Same total lock up kind of freeze.

Now, I was corresponding with the guy who built the PC about this issue when it first happened about a year ago and he wasn't very helpful. His theory was that maybe I need to de-clock, which I'm fine to do (CSGO nor anything else I'm doing requires 4.6 GHz), but I don't know how to do that. Other people have here and there offered it might be a overheating issue, but I'm disinclined. I don't know how to truly decipher all the info, but I've attached a SS from CoreTemp while running CSGO and it appears to be fine, no? Lastly, I thought perhaps it could be related to graphics card drivers? Perhaps I should uninstall them and reinstall them (is this possible), but again, it happens when I'm just casually computing as well.

CoreTemp SS: https://imgur.com/m7XSAgc

Thoughts? Help? Love?

Video freezes (GPU) will usually have artifacts showing up on screen also so my initial guess would be memory problems. Sticks can go bad in time. Start swapping out and run on 8/4 GB. See if the issue persists for both (all 4?) sticks of memory.

72 degrees on low cpu load doesn't bode well. get a stress tester and run it to 100% on all cores while watching the cpu temp. Check the case fans are working, open the case and look for dirt and dust. as for overclocking, you'll need to dig up the info on your motherboard and learn how the overclocking works.

If cpu was overheating, I'd think a handful of instances of Prime95 would reveal this fairly quickly...

Windows Repair Toolbox/CPU ID- HW Monitor will give core temps.

Certainly dropping to two sticks of RAM and alternately testing each for stability is a great idea. (Depending on RAM speeds, one stick could now be unstable at a given set of speed/timings depending on RAM voltage)

(Would certainly recommend dropping to stock clocks until some stability is achieved; most games are GPU limited anyway, although it's actually surprising to me that a GTX580 is now being outframed at 1080P by GTX750s and above, these days)

My money is on the SSD just thought i'd throw that out there before this thread is locked. He/She has already made this same post on several different computer repair forums so i'm sure the result will eventually come out.

how did this account even get past introductions?

Tell us a little about yourself
Gamer. Not totally horrible at computers but mostly just maintaining things per the advise of others.

What country do you live in?
USA

What is your current experience? (Years working on computers, in the business, certifications etc..)
Per above. Been tinkering with PC for a little under 20 years now.

Are you looking to start a computer business, already have one, working for someone else or something else?
N/A

Anything else you would like to share? hobbies etc...
Gaming :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back