Ricoh SP C261SFNw Scan to Email not working

alexsmith2709

Reaction score
I know similar issues have come up like this before but i've got an odd one and i dont know if there is a fix or not.
A client has a Ricoh SP C261SFNw which has the scan to email feature. They use M365 so I created an smtp2go account and added these settings to the printer but it keeps timing out when connecting to the server. I checked all the relevant settings i could find on this printer, the various port numbers SMTP2Go suggest but nothing works. The support for this printer on the Ricoh site appears non existent.
To check if it was something caused by SMTP2Go i disabled default security settings (temporarily) to see if the M365 account would work, but that does the same thing. I even tried my own smtp2go account which i know works but that also fails, so i can only assume its the printer causing this issue.
The printer is connected to the network using an ethernet cable. I have edited the DNS settings to both Google and Cloudflare with no joy. Printer to the printer over the network works fine and I gave it a static IP.

Is anyone familiar with this printer or have any other ideas?

What are the relevant settings you are using? Can you paste a screenshot of that page in the printer config? I had Kyocera recently that wouldn't work until I used port 139, for example...

What are the relevant settings you are using? Can you paste a screenshot of that page in the printer config? I had Kyocera recently that wouldn't work until I used port 139, for example...
Im not at the clients office anymore, but i didnt try port 139. I only tried 2525, 25, 80, 443, 8025, 587, 465 and 8465. I only tried the M365 settings with port 587 and 25. I will be back there in the next day or so i imagine, so i will try port 139 then, but as smtp2go or m365 don't state this port i didnt try it.
I tried the first 2 options on here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...-send-email-using-microsoft-365-or-office-365 when trying the M365 account.

I was using the server address as mail.smtp2go.com or smtp.office365.com depending on what account i was trying. Authentication was set to SMTP (The options were Anonymous, SMTP or POP before SMTP). TLS was set to version 1.2 which is the newest it can handle. The user account was set to the user created in SMTP2Go or an account i created in M365. I also tried with Authentication turned on for the M365 account.

I cant think of any other settings that were on it but i'll take a screenshot next time im there.

I did try setting up a shared folder on one computer and using that to scan to and it worked, so there is 2 way network traffic, but obviously setting up a shared folder on each laptop is not ideal.

The firewall or default gateway blocking outbound SMTP? Is the default gateway address programmed correctly in the Ricoh? Maybe an incompatibility with TLS version?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to lead you down a blind alley - Port 139 is SMB for scanning to a network share, for example. I'm looking at a copier we have working directly with office365. We have a "copier@domain.com" email address setup on the client's tenant.

SMTP Server: smtp.office365.com
SMTP Port: 587
SMTP Timeout: 30 seconds
Authentication: On
Authenticate as: Other
Login name: copier@domain.com
Login PW: *************
SMTP Security: STARTTLS

Nothing surprising or unusual here, unfortunately. I like @putz 's idea that your firewall might be blocking SMTP outbound (always a good idea), so you might look there and if it is blocked, create a rule that allows SMTP from the copier's IP.

Edit: Check the firmware of the copier as well, bring it up to date if you can. If it's an old machine, you might be stuck. As @putz said, TLS 1.0 isn't going to work.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to lead you down a blind alley - Port 139 is SMB for scanning to a network share, for example. I'm looking at a copier we have working directly with office365. We have a "copier@domain.com" email address setup on the client's tenant.

SMTP Server: smtp.office365.com
SMTP Port: 587
SMTP Timeout: 30 seconds
Authentication: On
Authenticate as: Other
Login name: copier@domain.com
Login PW: *************
SMTP Security: STARTTLS

Nothing surprising or unusual here, unfortunately. I like @putz 's idea that your firewall might be blocking SMTP outbound (always a good idea), so you might look there and if it is blocked, create a rule that allows SMTP from the copier's IP.

Edit: Check the firmware of the copier as well, bring it up to date if you can. If it's an old machine, you might be stuck. As @putz said, TLS 1.0 isn't going to work.
Not a problem, i was thinking port 139 was odd for email!
I'll look at the firewall as im going there this morning, but im not sure this is the reason as they use outlook (not the web app) and can send ok. Worth double checking everything though as i didnt set up their firewall or router.
TLS is version 1.2 and the firmware is up to date (one of the first things i tried, sorry i forgot to mention that).

Back