Question about chrome positioning that I don't know how to Google.

thecomputerguy

Reaction score
Alright so I've always dreamed of having a 3 or 4 monitor setup but I currently have only 2. I had a spare monitor laying around and I decided to see what 3 would feel like and so far it's fine.

I'm having issues keeping track of what the hell is going on with my Chrome tabs though.

For example, I will typically have something dumb like youtube or a podcast going to break the silence in my office (hence the third screen).

Now there are two things I'd like to do. One is to permanently plant youtube in chrome on my third screen and have it show up on my taskbar as a separate item so that I know not to close it, almost as if I was using a separate browser to do so so that all my chrome stuff didn't collapse on my taskbar and it doesn't get mixed with my other chrome stuff like email etc.

Second thing is I'd like to arrange chrome tabs/windows according to WHICH MONITOR they are on. Currently if I hover over my collapsed chrome on my taskbar I get windows in all directions. I'd like to have stuff I have on my left screen appear on the left when I hover over chrome on the taskbar, middle middle, and right right.

This is a pretty picky question but it's for me and I'm not sure how to Google this one.

Ok so got the first one ...

Open the website you want then Settings > More tools > Create Shortcut > Open as Window

Creates a separate instance of chrome in my taskbar. So I can Identify it.

Last edited:
Is there a reason you are not using the Windows 10 (yes, I'm presuming here) virtual desktop feature to create "separate worlds"?

It sounds like this is what you want to do, and it's exactly what the virtual desktop feature is designed for.

If I'm understanding correctly what you're trying to achieve, I use the 'Taskbar where window is open' option so that I can have separate control of different browser instances on each monitor. I also set the 'When taskbar is full' option because I freakin' hate how Windows combines them all into a single untitled button that I have to hover over or click something first just to get to the one I want ...

Fq15nhC.png

Last edited:
Is there a reason you are not using the Windows 10 (yes, I'm presuming here) virtual desktop feature to create "separate worlds"?

It sounds like this is what you want to do, and it's exactly what the virtual desktop feature is designed for.

Interesting, I've never even heard of that, I'll look into it thanks!

If I'm understanding correctly what you're trying to achieve, I use the 'Taskbar where window is open' option so that I can have separate control of different browser instances on each monitor. I also set the 'When taskbar is full' option because I freakin' hate how Windows combines them all into a single untitled button that I have to hover over or click something first just to get to the one I want ...

Fq15nhC.png

Also interesting! I'll try this! I think this is pretty close to what I'm looking for!

Fq15nhC.png

This is actually amazing I've been using this for several days and I wish I found it sooner!

Back