OneDrive for business use

pcpete

Reaction score
I tend to suffer from information overload, so maybe you guys can help push me in the right direction to focus my research. I have an old client in the mental health field we have helped with tech support over the years. They are not hipaa compliant and they know that. I told them this is not our strong point(we are more residential). Originally we set them up with a simple file server which they share via a work group. This has worked well(minus the hipaa non compliance) for them from a usability standpoint. About a year ago they opened a second office and needed access to the file server so we set them up with a software vpn using hamachi. It works but will lose connection often enough to cause productivity issues. They want a more unified dependable way to do this

I have been researching a better method and spoke with them and we decided some implementation of OneDrive would be the way to go. It is also one step in going towards hipaa compliance. Being it is outside my comfort level my instinct is do it as simple as possible, but that might not be the best choice, so I need some help. They are currently google apps users, so factoring in hosted exchange is not needed for the equation.

I see they have a plan for $1.99/month for 100gb(more than enough space). Would we setup the main user who owns the files with that account, then grant other Microsoft users access to the files? Can we share the root of the one drive with other users so the folder structure would be the same? Is there a way to share the same OneDrive with everyone?

Here is where I am also not sure about a few things. I get the impression OneDrive works both like Dropbox and Google docs. It is like drop box where if you work on the file locally it will then sync the files to the other users/devices. This may end up with conflicts. It also seems like Google docs where you can work directly in the cloud on docs simultaneously. Could you explain how that works? Is that done only through the shared folder?

Any advice or input to get me started would be greatly appreciated.

I know you have mentioned it and are aware of HIPAA. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of being HIPAA compliant. If nothing it's to protect you and your business. As has been mentioned on here before if BAA's are not part of the process it's a disaster waiting to happen. And "they do not want to do it" is not something that will protect you.

Google apps for business will provide a BAA upon request. Not sure why you would need to use One Drive if Google will provide you with BAA. But you also need to have signed a BAA as well.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/3407054?hl=en

Back