Not Embedded Laptops..Keyboard mkay!

frase

Reaction score
Dont you hate it when a small job expands the universe, sigh embedded KB. It is only for me to refurbish so I can use it, as would not trust plastic soldering jobs to onsell.

20231030_142434.jpg

What am I looking at? What is the issue? I can see everything is on that one motherboard except the Wireless card, a stick of RAM, and that cooller/fan assembly. I assume if there is a problem it is either the battery, chassis broken, or motherboard.

I assume that he's saying that to attach a new keyboard, he had to remove everything, break the plastic rivets, install new the new keyboard, and re-weld the rivets. All those parts attach to the palmrest+keyboard assembly on the right. The title should be "Embedded keyboards."

Reactions: GTP
I assume that he's saying that to attach a new keyboard, he had to remove everything, break the plastic rivets, install new the new keyboard, and re-weld the rivets. All those parts attach to the palmrest+keyboard assembly on the right. The title should be "Embedded keyboards."
Okay, but if that is the case, why are the fans, memory, and wireless card out? That stuff appears to be on the other side, but yeah that keyboard is a mess. Looks like the proper fix would be a new top clamshell/keyboard assembly for any kind of keyboard with plastic rivets holding it in.

Usually, all but the memory has to be removed in order to remove the MB from the palmrest assembly.

Then I must be blessed, in that on all but one of the HP laptops I've had to do this with, I never needed to touch the fans and heat pipe nor disturb the thermal paste on the CPU/APU. That could remain on the mobo and be lifted out as a unit.

One thing I know for sure is that I will never attempt a pure keyboard replacement on those machines that have the "plastic welded" keyboard attached directly to the top assembly. It just never turns out well, and the time involved to do it (at least for a client) far exceeds the cost of a new top assembly.

Ok semantics, yes embedded keyboards. I had actually seen a post on SM "embedded laptops", they were embedded in the a boardroom desk. These automaticaly lowered down into the desk, stupid design. Anyway the issue is a few keys are not functioning as the membrane underneath had damage. So I was unaware of the design, so had ordered the replacement KB to fit. Though on opening laptop it was a clam type, no matter can do this in my own time. It is for myself, not a client so no real hassle; all good carry on.

Well Boxing Day here in Australia, where everyone get's in fights at the pubs, because they were not open Christmas day. I do not like Cricket, bores me to death. So went back to my laptop I am refurbishing for myself, I used a Heatgun with a small tip and a small spudger to remove plastic crap.

359.jpg

20231226_141007.jpg

Now to install the new KB..

20231226_141042.jpg

I know why not purchase the entire KB Panel assembly , though was only for my own use and a side project.

I've done what you're doing before, and will never do it again. A huge investement in time and effort for what, in my case, was a less than perfect result as getting the keyboard back in "perfectly level" again is virtually impossible.

It was an interesting exercise, to be sure, but when I faced this situation afterward, the immediate choice was buying a top unit with the keyboard and trackpad. Way less hassle.

I've done what you're doing before, and will never do it again. A huge investement in time and effort for what, in my case, was a less than perfect result as getting the keyboard back in "perfectly level" again is virtually impossible.

It was an interesting exercise, to be sure, but when I faced this situation afterward, the immediate choice was buying a top unit with the keyboard and trackpad. Way less hassle.
Yes I am aware,though I only do it when I have not much else to do.

Back