New Dialog (What Needs Your Attention) during Win11 Reinstall

britechguy

Reaction score
I just received the first of two LG Gram 16s that will be the replacement laptops in our household. It is almost unearthly light, yet rigid. LG appears to have gotten this right as far as the magnesium skin stiffening this thing.

In any case, after going through what looked like OOBE (and this is a used unit) and having McAfee be part of that setup, even after removing it I was getting a message from Windows Security that I could not get to certain functions like Quick Scan because they were "restricted by your administrator." Well, since I'm my own administrator, that couldn't be the case, so off to do a clean reinstall I went.

I, of course, elected to "keep nothing" but got this dialog during setup, which I had never before encountered:

What_Needs_Your_Attn_during_reinstall.jpg

What's interesting is if you click on that Why am I seeing this? link, absolutely nothing on the Microsoft support page discusses a single thing that relates to this specific message in this dialog. There are about 5 other things that get discussed, but not this one.

I just continued on my merry way, as I want a fresh, Microsoft-supplied version of Windows 11 on this machine. I'll fetch LG's "service station" software back from them afterward, as I find this sort of thing handy to have for keeping all sorts of bits and pieces up to date.

If anyone's seen this before, and knows what it might mean in practical terms post-reinstall, please share. Otherwise, I'll report back if anything specific and actionable happens.

I certainly won't miss the built-in Alexa that comes with these machines!

Did you move forward with the reinstall? Out of curiosity, wouldn't optional features be installed with new updates, if they're not already found in the system during the Windows update process?

Yes, I moved forward with the reinstall on two LG Gram 16 machines now, and to no obvious deleterious effects.
Good deal. I would imagine any optional features not detected during a Windows update will be added. At least, they should be. Knowing Microsoft, though, maybe not..... lol

Infuriating.

Yup. Way back when I was a programmer one of the things I insisted upon was MEANINGFUL and INFORMATIVE error messages.

Telling you that something's up, but giving you no way to make an informed choice about how to proceed, or even specific info regarding "what's up," is inane.

Back