[REQUEST] New buisness looking for advice

sheLovesTech

Reaction score
I’m looking for a list of books to help me get ready for starting my own cellphone/computer repair business if anyone has any suggestions for technical books I should add to my library about computer or cellphone repair. or even maybe some online classes I could take to help me get a better understanding. any advice for tech support fourms/ online communities I could ask these questions to Also any advice would be helpful. I'm running out of ideas on where to find this information and google is not at all helping with this. PLEASEEE!!

In other words I'm looking for books for cellphone and computer repair knowledge or maybe even online classes. Thanks in advance.

Books? Hmm I don't really think there is anything good for bench work. Getting your hands dirty and browsing these forums might be your best bet for computer repair.

There is A+ training, but honestly that's not very helpful considering how long it takes.

I had done A+ before I did benchwork, but it wasn't really something that translated to practical application. But if you need somewhere to start, it is something. What kind of experience/knowledge do you currently have? What kinds of services would you want your business to offer?

I would check YouTube and Udemy they likely have classes and videos on both.

Doubt you will find much in terms of books.

Damaged cell phones are usually a dime a dozen, get a few and get your hands dirty.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

I second and third what was said above. Get your hands on some damaged devices and tear them apart. Places like ifixit.com have complete tear down guides on a lot of devices. They were my go-to when I thought about phone repair.

A few google or youtube searches should start you down the rabbit hole of endless information, just make sure it's good information by checking it against other sources.

For practical, real world situations forums such as this have a wealth of information. At the very least you will get ideas as to what you need to learn about.

When I decided that I wanted to fix phones in 2010, I signed up for a 5-day $1500 course with a company called Wild PCS in Las Vegas (I think they merged with Mengtor.) It was hands on and we spent most of the time taking apart flip phones and sliders, in addition to soldering and desoldering charging ports and anything big enough to hit with a hot air gun or soldering iron. Looking back, there was a lot that wasn't covered but it was money well-spent (I think I got a bigger return on investment from that $1500 than from the money I spent on my MBA.)

I then spent the next six months taking apart used phones that I had bought off Ebay before finally opening my shop. You're not going to learn how to fix phones (or computers) by just reading books. You can read all the romance novels and watch all the romcoms in the world, but until you finally put your lips on another person's lips, you won't know what being kissed is like. The bottom line is that you won't know everything when you first start, therefore start slowly. As others have pointed out, there are lots of YouTube videos to help you along the way. I must've watched hundreds of hours of videos when I was fixing phones. In fact, I never touched a phone until I had watched at least two teardown videos -- too often one of them left out important details about potential boobytraps and you end up ripping a flex cable and have to buy the customer a new phone.

I'm probably a bit jaded from fixing over 16,000 phones, but if I were you I would focus on computer repair. The higher end phones have gotten too complicated to fix and cheaper Android phones are practically disposable.

but if I were you I would focus on computer repair. The higher end phones have gotten too complicated to fix and cheaper Android phones are practically disposable.
Also Break/fix especially HOME users will not pay the bills. Too many home users are using phones and tablets for day to day things. In my opinion, the only people using computers instead of phones are older people who can not stand the small screens, students, but only when researching or having to TYPE or doing online classes.

Small home businesses still use computers. But many home businesses do not have a budget/money for a MSP plan and will only call when the $hit hits the fan and then complain about the price of service and/or data recovery. (of course, they never have back ups.)

MSP is the only real way to have reoccurring income. And for "home" users it can be a tough sell.

the only people using computers instead of phones are older people who can not stand the small screens
I notice that she lives in Chandler, AZ. The entire Phoenix area is teeming with older and affluent individuals who would gladly pay for her services. Older folks are going to be around for a while and I think this would be a good niche to focus on. But first, she's got to get focused. Lynda.com (now LinkedIn Learning) has a course called 'Troubleshooting Common PC Problems' (or something like that) - this might be a good place to start. Also, most of the problems that older folks are going to have will be relatively easy (compared to restoring lost data for a small business.)

Basic PC troubleshooting, look at some of Carey Holzman's Youtubevideos from the past 5-7 years....

For those beginning, he explains it fairly well, and has several real world troubleshooting examples/scenarios, from 'won't post', won't power up at all, won't boot, boot-loops, malware, etc...

Older folks are going to be around for a while and I think this would be a good niche to focus on.
As long as they are affluent and not on a low fixed income they can be good clients as long as you are not relying on break/fix problems. And you have to have a bit of patience as well. But even retired people tend to like the convience of a tablet at the sofa to use.
'Troubleshooting Common PC Problems' (or something like that)
My .02 on any learning courses is that if you already do not know most of troubleshooting a computer then you are not ready to service actual clients quite yet.

Back