MS Office licensing for Non-Profits

mdownes

Reaction score
I have a non-profit customer for whom I set up MS 365 with 10 donated “business premium” licenses. They’ll soon be offering educational courses in the community, for which they’ve bought 40 laptops. They’ll need office installed on these. But they want, if possible, to avoid MS accounts for service users or monthly bills. I’ve been looking at what’s available to them through their Enclude (techsoup) account and it looks like the best fit is something called “Office Standard” (product ID LS-48335). This entails an “admin fee” @ €45/$52 each. I’ve a few questions to which I can’t find answers through MS documentation or google – maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I’m just wondering:

Firstly – am I right? Is this license/product a good fit?

Laptops came with “Microsoft Office 365” that’s typically preinstalled nowadays. Can I use this installation for “Office Standard” when I purchase it, or will that need to be a fresh install?

Does “Office Standard” need each laptop user to have an MS account? I see the documentation mentions being “tightly integrated” with OneDrive. I guess that means if there’s more than one person using a laptop, we’ll just have to disable OneDrive to prevent people accessing each other’s data.

Has anyone any observations to offer?

Laptops came with “Microsoft Office 365” that’s typically preinstalled nowadays. Can I use this installation for “Office Standard” when I purchase it, or will that need to be a fresh install?
You will have to uninstall the pre-installed version of office and then download and install Office Standard. It won't let you activate a pre-installed version with an Open license.

Does “Office Standard” need each laptop user to have an MS account? I see the documentation mentions being “tightly integrated” with OneDrive. I guess that means if there’s more than one person using a laptop, we’ll just have to disable OneDrive to prevent people accessing each other’s data.

Works the same as a retail copy. You don't need a MS Account but there are benefits to creating one and logging Office in to it, such as settings Office settings are synched with other computers logged in under that account. Doesn't sound like this is really needed in your scenario.

You will have to uninstall the pre-installed version of office and then download and install Office Standard. It won't let you activate a pre-installed version with an Open license.

Works the same as a retail copy. You don't need a MS Account but there are benefits to creating one and logging Office in to it, such as settings Office settings are synched with other computers logged in under that account. Doesn't sound like this is really needed in your scenario.
Thanks for that! My only problem now is that MS takes ages to authorise and issue the license after purchase - 4 days so far.

Back